ID:1360955

Poll: Should they come back?

Yes; I'll help if needed too. 19% (10)
Yes 42% (22)
No; Bad for us. 13% (7)
No 25% (13)

Login to vote.

Well, that more part is kind of because.. Yeah, I lost my thought! Lol.

Anyways, to start off this hopefully soon to be long thread here are two questions that people can answer either one or both and start talking:

How many of you miss the player-owned forums with how you could be creative?

How many of you miss the guilds where things could be listed in each and organized in a creative manner?

--

Oh, and here's the part that I lost my thought on.: Reviews. Yeah, we can still do them by posting in the forums on the games. But wasn't there a more fancy way of doing it that was a bit more organized and recognized as well? How many of you would like this back?
I'll resist my urge to vote as well. ._. And I know there was some problem with all of these features. Which is why they were removed. I conversed about it with someone one. But I forgot what was said! Just leave that out of the conversation though. Just talk about how you liked or disliked the fact that they were here in the past.
I miss them a lot to be honest, I used to love when games could receive reviews from guilds, like the Anime Guild, you'd be proud if your game was listed by any of those... now it's sad IMO :S
I don't know about bringing back the Anime guild. With all the things dealing with copyrights nowadays, it's not a good idea. But yes, guilds like Action and Adventure or Fantasy.. Or things a bit more specific would be nice. Giving a more detailed ranking of games as well.

It'd be a great source for players to find out more about games and whether or not they'd like them. And frankly, I can't really tell what most games are like anymore. Some don't have screenshots and some take time to understand.
I don't miss guilds or player-owned forums. I'd prefer that they don't come back, but that's just me. I didn't really use them in the past, so I hardly see any benefit in adding them back.

Regarding reviews; those were constantly abused and eventually became mocked due to only being used for:
  • Giving rips 0/10 due to being banned.
  • Giving rips 10/10 since they were given GM.
  • Containing one or two poorly constructed statements as to why the game is awesome/horrible, as opposed to a detailed review. Examples being: "i liek dis gaem cuz bankai" and "sux owner ban me cause i spam w/e".

If you'd like to review a game, then just post on the games hub or in off-topic. It's a poor alternative, but if reviews are that important, maybe we can set up a "team" of reviewers to give information about some games. Although, I'd imagine people would play the game for themselves since they're not forced to pay to play, as opposed to reading a review on a free to play game.

I also can't imagine that people would go to our forum to check for the reviews, so it might be best to just post the review on the games hub as originally suggested. The only downside is if they don't like it, they can remove it.
That method of reviews really is a poor alternative. However, what about giving certain people the ability to review? Respectable veterans of BYOND.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
That method of reviews really is a poor alternative. However, what about giving certain people the ability to review? Respectable veterans of BYOND.

This was an idea at one point, but I couldn't find any volunteers. If we can get people interested, then I'd imagine we could give it another shot.
I wouldn't mind writing in my spare time. I'm fair and not bias when it comes to things like this. Sounds like a good idea.
In response to Xirre
Well, from a legality point of view, just having the content on the site is enough of an issue, so it doesn't make much odds if you had it in a tag, a guild, or just in the general mix.

I am however, pleased that some people do enjoy and value BYOND Anime still. I think it served a very good role in bridging a lot of the non-member Anime developers and players who didn't ordinarily participate in BYOND's website, with the more 'core' community. There was certainly, a good sense of community there in the last year or so before the guilds was scrapped. I felt it was a testament to the guild that BYOND Anime's own listing guidelines basically made up the guidelines BYOND moderators used for fangames for a good 2 years after the guilds went, and were widely accepted as such.

Tom would probably want to plan things out a bit, before considering bringing some form of sub-community / guild mechanism back. Particularly as it's effort on the website, not on the actual platform, and would take some volunteer skills to bring to life in a positive way for BYOND instead of just flopping.

There were two major failings, as I see if, with the guilds. as they were.

One was a division of content. That is, having say ... 5 or so main guilds covering the relatively few new original submissions we had, made forming actual communities around these genres rather difficult. Content was naturally so, and so, it took concerted effort by a guildmaster of one such genre to get their place looking lively.

The second was essentially volunteer skills / direction. We had perhaps 3 or so natural 'leaders' as it were, but 6+ guilds. Naturally, making all the guilds grow under such circumstances is very difficult. Similarly, there was some disagreement on whether an official guild was merely a vessel to contain listings, or an entire sub-community. So some guilds were also never actively grown.

---

I suspect, if defined and understood well, you'd get a lot of value and increased game activity out of having 2 or 3 official guilds back. You would not necessarily require blogs to do this, but certainly, reviews posted from the official guilds, and listings going through those guilds, would be a big plus.
I feel like the guilds allowed for more community events, like game day and tournament sort of events. I still remember the game days held by BYOND Action, where we'd play Lode Wars and Vengeance 56 together and Scream of the Stickster together.

Even BYOND Strategy did something like this every once in a while.

I don't see anything like that nowadays, and I think it's because of the lack of guilds.

There's not much stopping us from holding more of these type of community events, but I feel like there's something missing as a part of the motivating factor.
I didn't like guilds, the members front page, and reviews.

But I did like the custom pages members could have (had a real myspace vibe, not that that's something to be proud of these days :P). And I liked the personal forums.

I vote no.
A lot of the problems with guilds, was that it was bringing the wrong group of people onto the site, and causing an immense number of moderation headaches. I prefer the site being more developer-oriented, and the team being able to focus their efforts on the engine itself.
I dunno if I would agree with that assessment, really. I was handling BYOND Anime until it's end, and it had become a fairly rewarding and development-minded community. Took a bit of weeding to manage that, but that's fine I think.
I don't doubt there were a few gems, but you had to admit, other corners of the community were getting quite festered by the time the plug got pulled.
As I recall, BYOND Anime was the only guild that actually had any semblance of an active community. BYOND RPG was pretty much dead, BYOND Action had a weak pulse, BYOND Strategy was a ghost town, and I don't even remember what the fifth one was at this point.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I prefer the site being more developer-oriented, and the team being able to focus their efforts on the engine itself.

In response to Ter13
Quiet, I'd say, if we're discussing the official guilds. member guilds were a bit like the wild west, though.

The issue of guilds other than BYOND Anime rings back a little to leadership. Between them, those guilds had good leadership, capability for good competitions, active participation etc. You had BYOND Action's group play sessions, BYOND Strategy had ACWraith's tireless promotional aspect etc etc. But apart like that, each struggled to net a lot of traction, as the genre division was not really how people approached games.

This is mostly why I say you need a fleshed out kind of plan, with a clear sense of what said guilds of sub-communities are for, trying to achieve, tools required etc, before you could bring back a notion like that.

Before the present system was brought in, there was a bit of a private talk (and plan proposed by ACWraith) for a 2/3 official guild set-up. Essentially Games, Fangames. I would've liked to see that at the time, as the Fangames bit was essentially taking on BYOND Anime's existing structures, which I think was fine for everyone involved there, and the Games bit would've taken the amalgamation of volunteers and community members from elsewhere, with would've sorted out the division of focus issue.
No, I agree. I just don't blame Tom for making the decision to pull the plug. It's hard to ensure that your product is being represented in a positive light when you have an open system.

You definitely managed Anime right from what I remember, and I agreed with your structuring. But the issue I'd have would be a sustainable set-and-forget infrastructure that doesn't distract from the overall goal of the project, which largely, hearing what Tom and the community managers had to say, was just not feasible without a lot of added moderation.

One thing that I like about the current setup, is that everything is in one place. Obviously, it's painful and bad in the Off Topic forums to have everything up front like that. Art & Sound is hit or miss, but Developer Help, Design Philosophy, and the main BYOND engine subforums are all currently humming along pretty well.

While yes, guilds did manage to channel the cesspool away from the main page, it did also channel a lot of the quality to the guilds, away from the main page.

Quite a number of the quality posters on BYOND are in this thread. I can't help but think, a handful of us would spend our energies elsewhere, to the detriment of the whole community, with the old system.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply the engines would stop humming if it weren't for myself and a few others, but a handful of the people here spend a LOT of time hovering around the Developer Help and Design Philosophy/Art forums trying to help people, and some of us did so long before the voting system was in place. We do it because we want to help, and not because we get something material out of it.

If that went away, there would be a vacuum of helpful people for some months that would be a void hard to fill (look at the 1999-2004 era of talented devs, like Lexy, Skysaw, Deadron, Zilial, Gughunter, Leftley, etc. We still feel the void left by them because frankly, I think most of us are poor quality replacements of what they did for the community in the early days.)
I guess that's part of the debate, whether you'd seek to axe (or move) what we traditionally called the developer forums. Axing definitely would be madness, and moving ... I suspect, would end up a little iffy. Looking over the current top 5's, I don't particular see many people who were big in the guilds previously. Which is not to say they wouldn't want to be in a future arrangement, but I suspect they'd probably stick to what they enjoy over in dev help etc, so maybe you'd not really 'drain' that pool. For a fangame section for example, if ran as before, I'd choose to source volunteers who are passionate about that area, and probably have differing skill-sets to your top 5 helper-folk.

We are somewhat missing, though, is a good leader type or two, that's gaming focused. You really need that before you coud make a sub-community system work. It might just be that given a lack of venue to express themselves currently, we already have someone who'd step up to that plate but hasn't made themselves felt so far.
In response to Danny Roe
Danny Roe wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
I prefer the site being more developer-oriented, and the team being able to focus their efforts on the engine itself.

And I feel exactly the opposite from you two...lol

Not that the site shouldn't be developer-oriented, per se, but I think that it is currently too developer-oriented. There's virtually no community here for players, and when they're your proverbial bread-and-butter, I think you need to at least throw them a bone or two.

Even if it's just a player-specific forum or set of forums (Off Topic is basically what they get, but I think it could be re-branded, perhaps?)

It would be nice, from a developer standpoint, to have a place here that we know many of the players would be "hanging out" to go make game announcements. I get the distinct impression that our current "Game Updates" forum is mostly read by our fellow developers. And that's sort of been an issue with BYOND all along. Our "community" is mostly just developers patting the other developers on the back, while the players are off in their own world.
Page: 1 2