@SSGX

I quite agree in this regard. There really isn't many places to go in terms of the player side of things. You have the game forums but, if those are a ghost town then you have nowhere.

I for example have been desiring to promote several older Byond games in the forum but, frankly there's no real place to do so. Even Off Topic doesn't feel right for saying:
"Hey guys, we're running servers for the following games and we plan to keep them up indefinitely. Come play, invite your friends and have a good time."
I could get behind a separate gaming forum filter, basically organizing the existing games' forums based on activity on the player-side of the portal, so it doesn't spill over into the developer site.

Something similar to how the Demos/Libraries page would be pretty awesome, where it just shows the top-activity games' BYOND subforum, and the title of the most recent post from there, the poster name, etc.
In response to Drakemoore
Drakemoore wrote:
@SSGX

I quite agree in this regard. There really isn't many places to go in terms of the player side of things. You have the game forums but, if those are a ghost town then you have nowhere.

I for example have been desiring to promote several older Byond games in the forum but, frankly there's no real place to do so. Even Off Topic doesn't feel right for saying:
"Hey guys, we're running servers for the following games and we plan to keep them up indefinitely. Come play, invite your friends and have a good time."

Yep.

The individual game forums are great; but only for the people who already know and frequent a game's hub page. There's no true "central" location where all players can mingle, share their favorite games, read about up-and-coming games or updates to existing ones, etc.

Even if it were just a re-branded "Off Topic" (not to replace Off Topic, though; because I see that as really meaning "Off Topic as relative to development discussions"; not really a catch-all for anything that is not development related; just for anything that is not development related, among the developers; I don't see that as including all players-only interactions/socialization/etc.)
In response to LordAndrew
Casual, bro.

I think at the very least, we could get a BYOND Games forum with Action, RPG, Strategy, Casual, and Other subforums, and see what happens.
In response to Kaiochao
Right. I suppose if we had subforums here on the main forum focused around specific genres, then it might work out in terms of activity. I know I'd be very interested in having an RPG-centric subforum.
You know what we need? An unpublished games section.
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:

That would be nice.
Flame Sage, I don't think things could ever be the same as they once were. Bringing back the unpublished games section won't do diddly squat.
I like this idea. It gave small games a chance to get attention. Now if you have no connections you're on your own.
Could get a sticky started with Tigsource links.
I loved the unpublished games section. It was where all the good games were. :)
Flame Sage wrote:

I second this motion!
In response to Magicmann
Magicmann wrote:
Flame Sage wrote:

I second this motion!

third.
Given that hub creation is open to everyone now, I don't quite see what purpose an unpublished section would serve. It only takes all of five seconds to put up a hub and link your game to it.
The hub needs to be listed by a moderator for it to show up on the site, though. The Unpublished Games section was like a place for all of the unlisted games.

Course this brings up the issue that FUNimation-copyright-infringing titles could potentially show up in said place. However, this could probably be averted by deleting the hub of those infringing copyright.
And if a player is caught making these bothersome hubs multiple times I think a punishment should be in order.
In response to Makeii
Makeii wrote:
The hub needs to be listed by a moderator for it to show up on the site, though. The Unpublished Games section was like a place for all of the unlisted games.

Hubs tend to get listed within a few hours after creation, depending on the time of submission.

I do see your point, but to save you time, the only unlisted games we have so far in our "list" are based on IP we've been C&D for. The majority of the time, we list as soon as possible. It's not like we're getting a flood of submissions. Usually we get one or two fan game submisisons every couple of days, sometimes an original title or two a week.

Like I said, I see your point, but right now it wouldn't do much good aside from wanting to view C&D content.

Course this brings up the issue that FUNimation-copyright-infringing titles could potentially show up in said place. However, this could probably be averted by deleting the hub of those infringing copyright.

If this happened, the list would literally be empty and make the unpublished section redundant. With hubs being listed within a few hours ( if that ) after being submitted, I can't really see the unpublished section being useful.
In response to Lige
Lige wrote:
If this happened, the list would literally be empty and make the unpublished section redundant.

If the ratio of fangame to original title is that extreme, you probably have a point.

In response to Lige
Lige wrote:
Hubs tend to get listed within a few hours after creation, depending on the time of submission.

But wait.. I thought hubs aren't approved if they're not hosted? *scratches chin*

Unlisted games can have their sections to get hosting and also some public interest via screenshots and videos.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Lige wrote:

But wait.. I thought hubs aren't approved if they're not hosted? *scratches chin*

Since we've moved to a tagging policy, we no longer have to review the game themselves. We just list what we see, provided we haven't received a C&D for it. Whether or not the game is hosted isn't really an issue for us.
Page: 1 2