ID:1363036

Not Feasible
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Hi there.

So recently, my SS13 server has had some issues with falling off the Byond Hub, making it impossible for regular players and new users to connect to our server which is operating 100% fine. The issue is still hiding from us and we're working on finding it, however this raised a relatively good suggestion on my part which byond could incorporate.

I am unsure how you'd go about doing this, whether you'd make a request, or it is automatically picked up on, I don't know. But I would like for;

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2s0hlbn.jpg
As you can see above the "games now" you have a bit of open space, could you utilize that by linking some "100% guaranteed to stay online" servers private website/forums? If you do that, players who are regulars to that server whom cannot find the server on the hub for whatever reason can go to the website and join from their website.

On my website/forums, I have an identical "Play now" button with the IP which is updated frequently so players have to visit our forums to play, this is only convenient to a certain level, as most of our regulars silly enough aren't common forum users of ours. So they depend on it being listed on the hub.

All I ask is, however it is possible, could you list some websites/forums above the game listings for the selected game (In this case SS13) with a link to their selected website, informing any passers-by that we have a play now button or something similar?

Much appreciated for even reading my ramblings and apologies if this has been suggested already! <3
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
This information is entirely up to the person or people responsible for the game entry in question, BYOND itself isn't the one showing that information, it is information entered by whoever is managing the hub entry.

In summation, giving random users access to what information is visible on the part of the hub entry that isn't specific to a certain server is probably a bad idea and potentially very abuse-able.
Well, I would like to revive this. Space Station 13 is an open-source game, and the only people that have access to the hub aren't even active, and the one person that has a possibility of making editing it, is/was affiliated with only one server. It's unfair to those that are a part of the Space Station 13 community that the hub page remain unupdated. I mean hell, if the one person that is/was a member of a SS13 group which I won't name decides to, they could completely change the hub password, making it to where no SS13 server besides the group they're affiliated with would ever be able to be listed on the hub.

It would be of great service to the entire community of Space Station 13 if it were to be taken over by the BYOND staff, someone that would remain completely unbiased. The original owner of the hub entry, Exadv1, could even be contacted before this is done. Just for example, send an email to his listed email and not that if a reply is not sent in sixty days, it will be taken over by the BYOND staff as to do a benefit for the Space Station 13 community.

As an SS13 server owner, and a long-time patron and administrative member of multiple popular Space Station 13 members, turning control of the hub page to an unbiased third-party would be of great assistance to all.

Thank you for reading,
Magicmann
Exadv1 gave access to whoever is in charge now, BYOND doesn't have any say over this decision.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Exadv1 gave access to whoever is in charge now, BYOND doesn't have any say over this decision.

Nobody is in charge.
Exadv1 is still kind of active, y'know. He was on Chatters/Simple Chat a few months ago. He even posted a feature request, I think. Page him, he'll get it eventually, or something.

He'd be the only one to ask if you want a list of server's websites, or something on the hub.
Can't the people just make new hubs? Although the thought of a myriad of hubs featuring SS13 would make me frown- the larger branches of the community should perhaps just make their own hubs?
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
Can't the people just make new hubs? Although the thought of a myriad of hubs featuring SS13 would make me frown- the larger branches of the community should perhaps just make their own hubs?

If they do that, they won't be able to be publicly listed on the hub, as far as I can tell.
They would be pubicly listed on their own hub- if you mean the hub itself won't be able to be listed the only restrictions for hubs apply to people using other's IPs.

The only issue really is that these new hypothetical hubs would be fracturing the community, making it harder for the players to go from server to server.
Actually, not sure why the topic of the hub was brought up. Just reread OP's issue and he should try hosting a clean version to see if it's own version's issue (like edits).

They're open sourced, half the servers listed are running their version which links back to them.
Well, our listing preference is the current arrangement. It seems like it makes more sense to have it all under one listing.

I'm not particularly happy about the precedent BYOND staff getting involved at that level would set though, particularly considering from past experience, we then end up arbitrating sub-community disputes from it, that we very poorly understand.

Prior knowledge suggests Exadv1 is a fairly understanding and amiable guy, if you can get in touch.
Maybe if all of the various SS13 server owners/operators/groups could get together to make a single "index" site that links to all of their individual sites/servers, then contact Exadv1 about getting that site set up as the hub's main website link?
I suspect some kind of deferring to a site such as that would work best for them, yeah.
Well, I suppose I could do it. Wouldn't have time to start something like that for about a week, but it wouldn't be terribly difficult to get a site setup for it. Okay. I'll stop distracting from the main point of this thread now.
I don't really see the issue with the current hub, it's pretty bare bones except for having a dead link to some goon site.

edit: perhaps the kind of out of place forums should be disabled by Exdav though.