In response to ADDiCt
Well, look at it!

http://www.byond.com/hub/Sariat/BYONDCodeClient

It also has free stuff on it, also. There's nothing wrong with charging for code. Lots of people do it.
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:
There's nothing wrong with charging for code. Lots of people do it.

Yes, even those of us with lots of free stuff out there have contributed libraries or demo code that you need to subscribe to BYONDscape to receive.
In response to Sariat
I am not obligated to help anyone, especially stupid people. I'll gladly explain to anyone how to make a pathfinding routine, but I won't make one for them.

http://www.byond.com/forum/ forum.cgi?action=message_read&id=158213&forum=1&view=0
In response to OneFishDown
OneFishDown wrote:
I am not obligated to help anyone, especially stupid people. I'll gladly explain to anyone how to make a pathfinding routine, but I won't make one for them.

I checked BYONDscape and noticed a dearth of articles from you.

Strangely the articles there teaching things all came from free library creators too. Hmm.

Long as you like explaining things, might as well make some money from it!

(If you do a pathfinding article, it would be a real shame if you didn't summarize the long history of pathfinding and discuss a few of the more common algorithms. I know you'd want to look these up since you want to learn as much as you can about programming. There are many articles on the subject, and the Game Programming Gems books have a lot of coverage of it, if you need someplace to go.)
Why not a) release it under the Gnu licence and b) put a verb in it called credits so that you're not forgot.
In response to OneFishDown
OFD, for future reference, you can just link to a previous post using the post ID, like this: (If that wasn't in <dm> tags, it would have produced this: [link])
Anyone notice that the bottom 2/3rds of this thread looks like the profile of a face?
In response to Garthor
Ha, it does.
In response to Garthor
Next, on Completely Random Comments...
Well I read half way down and I dont really feel like reading anymore. Here is what you are not seeing

Most libraries people orginally make for them self, then post it online for others to use, see, modify, and most importantly fix.

Lets think about Windows as a pre compiled app
and Linux as a collection of libraries.

When Windows was build the only people who got to see the code was the original developers. That means only those elite few get to pick out the bugs.

Now when Linux was built the source code was released with it! Now this is where you think, the creator of linux is crazy, he just lost alot of money. Well here is the reason Linux will always be more stable and more secure. Every day millions of people look at the code finding bugs tweaking the kernal. And the most importantly because they gave away the code for free, those people feel compelled to send their code/fixes to the people who made linux. Also because linux was open source, when people make software for it they ALSO make it open source.

Also to the person who said Gurus dont need to use librarys............. thats bull. We use libraries at work all the time. Sure... a guru could make the libraries them self... but does she/he want to spend loads of time rewriting something thats already been made??

Time = Money;
In response to Crispy
Whacks Crispy upside the head with the giant thread-face
In response to Dragon Guardian
(You could also be a Hindu spiritual teacher, but I doubt anyone on BYOND fits into that category)

Then again, Dan's Preface to the Blue Book begins with a quote from "Guru G" and ends with a note that the Preface was written in India... so there's actually a decent chance that someone on BYOND might fit into that category. :)
In response to Winbiko

Also to the person who said Gurus dont need to use librarys............. thats bull.

Definitely. I think in any discipline the highest level gurus (and I trust those among this discipline to recognize this as the compliment it is) are those who make the best use of all the tools available to them, both for the purposes of practicing their craft and teaching that craft to others.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Well said, Lexy.

*Goes back to using a stick to get termites to eat*
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Heck, I use most of Deadron's libraries on a regular basis (though I tend to leave saving to myself, because I prefer fine control over such things), and I'm not exactly someone I'd consider on the low end of the programming spectrum (well, when it comes to DM, anyway -- still learning about computer science in general).
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
Heck, I use most of Deadron's libraries on a regular basis (though I tend to leave saving to myself, because I prefer fine control over such things)

For single-character games, the CharacterHandling library is pretty nice because it "just works" and requires nothing from you.

But for multi-character games (that is, when the player can have multiple characters) it's much less flexible, and tends to force a UI on you that you might not want. One of these days I'll improve that.
Page: 1 2 3 4