ID:136444

On the referral info page, the following format is given to pass referrer information along a URL string:

http://secure.dantom.com/welcomeBYOND.cgi?source=Skysaw

I was wondering if this is the only page one can point to if one wants the referral credit. I'd like to point outsiders to the BYOND system via my game pages, but those pages have links to the game's hub page as well as a direct BYOND link. As it is, I will only get credit if they click the BYOND link first, which is probably not the usual case.
Skysaw wrote:
On the referral info page, the following format is given to pass referrer information along a URL string:

http://secure.dantom.com/welcomeBYOND.cgi?source=Skysaw

I was wondering if this is the only page one can point to if one wants the referral credit. I'd like to point outsiders to the BYOND system via my game pages, but those pages have links to the game's hub page as well as a direct BYOND link. As it is, I will only get credit if they click the BYOND link first, which is probably not the usual case.

I hadn't heard on this for awhile, so I thought I'd bump.

Anyone know the answer here? I'm considering putting my main game page in frames and loading the BYOND page in one to get the cookie to send (assuming this works through cookies).

Dantom, what should I do here? I have some real life friends who aren't yet BYOND users whom I intend to pull in via the Kwijibo home page. I certainly wouldn't mind getting the referral credit.
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:

Dantom, what should I do here? I have some real life friends who aren't yet BYOND users whom I intend to pull in via the Kwijibo home page. I certainly wouldn't mind getting the referral credit.

I don't have a good answer for you at the moment. You could try emailing Dan, since he wrote the welcomeBYOND.cgi script and might know some tricks.

This is one of those things we have to revamp anyway, since the current referrals don't count for much (the guide and a nonexistent hosting service). The tentative plan is to just have automatic referrals whenever a new user comes to BYOND through your game. I like that better.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
This is one of those things we have to revamp anyway, since the current referrals don't count for much (the guide and a nonexistent hosting service).

I've gotten referrals in the form of dimes. That counts, as far as I'm concerned! I don't know who the referrals were for, but it's still appreciated.

The tentative plan is to just have automatic referrals whenever a new user comes to BYOND through your game. I like that better.

I like that plan. In the meantime, I've done something fairly simple that may or may not serve my purpose. Links to my game which used to point to the hub location now point to a new frames document that contains the page retrieved from my referral link in a frame, and a refresh META tag that redirects to the actual hub page. This will force the user to hit the referral link before the actual hub page.

I'm going under the assumption that a cookie is set on that page, since I don't see how else it can keep track.
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:
I like that plan. In the meantime, I've done something fairly simple that may or may not serve my purpose. Links to my game which used to point to the hub location now point to a new frames document that contains the page retrieved from my referral link in a frame, and a refresh META tag that redirects to the actual hub page. This will force the user to hit the referral link before the actual hub page.

I like that workaround. Nifty. :-)

I think I might just use that for <blatant plug>Thieves</blatant plug> :) ... thanks Skysaw!
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
I like that workaround. Nifty. :-)

I think I might just use that for <blatant plug>Thieves</blatant plug> :) ... thanks Skysaw!

Glad I could help. I still don't know for sure if this will pick up the referral credit or not. But it's easy enough to do, so why not?