ID:1364526

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
There's not much details to go in to with this. But, what if players could choose to, like buying BYOND Memberships, purchase a probability to get their game advertised around BYOND? I know there is the BYOND Games page, but you need to be popular to even get on the front page. This form of advertisement goes by the amount of an ad you have, increasing your chances to have your game viewed as you buy more. Or, if anyone has another method suggest it. I can't think of anything. I just know people hate to have others come on their game saying, "Join this byond://." This would surely make the BYOND contribution bar go up more and probably stray away from that mass advertisement since paying for it does it for them on the website or even when games are loading.

Edit: Also, players can even donate an advertisement time length for other games.
Sounds like buying out a good game's seat because someone stole his/her mother's credit card.
Well, it has been floated as an idea a few times, along with the "banner on any page" thing for top games, which we used to do.

I'm not sure what the current thinking on it is, whether or not BYOND could charge more for game ads than they could for the existing ad space. If they could, I think that'd be a definite plus for BYOND, and a boon in local marketing for anyone will to bite on that.
If something like this were to happen, I think it'd be best to have some sort of way that a BYOND game server could use this system. There's many game communities that have servers in specific games without being someone that would completely benefit from it being advertised, or maybe it can't even be advertised.

Example:
Space Station 13 by Exadv1. There's many different servers for it, ran by many different groups. If this system comes into play, no one in Space Station 13 will be able to take advantage because no one active is able to access the hub entry to do so; and even then, have an average of forty-five servers at any given time, it would more benefit the larger servers that are at the top of the list.
So you're saying with the advertisements, upon clicking them it should use the BYOND link to the game to migrate the user to that particular server?

If so, I wouldn't see how this could be easily done since when we sign on our BYOND pagers it tells us "User is hosting Game" and then we know which one they're hosting. So if advertising for a game with multiple servers you can link to the hub and also link to whoever is the host so if the BYOND link changes then so does the advertisement.

As for Linux, however. I don't know how this would work. They don't really have a pager. I guess manually entering the BYOND link and if the link, by running byond://link:port?ping, does work then allow the advertisement to be shown. Otherwise, don't show the advertisement because linking to a game that isn't up is wasting advertisement space.