ID:1368082

Resolved
Some games didn't start correctly after the splash screen appeared.
BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 31.0.1612.2
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
(bug report filed on behalf of Kaiochao, cause he's a lazy bum)

Descriptive Problem Summary:
Kaiochao's game, Break, doesn't get past the BYOND splash screen when launched through the pager.

However, the sound starts to play.

The game runs fine when downloaded as a Zip.

He says he does not have client/New() overwritten.

You can see a partial source example at Kaiochao.Breakout (the previous hub is a 'fancier' version of this source).

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Open pager
2. Download and run Kaiochao.Break
3. Watch 30 second ad (++BYOND.ad.profit)
4. Listen to the sounds of his game while begging for the splash screen to go away.

Expected Results:
Play the game.

Actual Results:
Stare at the splash screen.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Yes.
In other games? Not tested.
In other user accounts/computers? Yes. Multiple users have reported the issue.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When ran through a zip, bypassing the pager.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Not tested.

Workarounds:
Zip.

Kaiochao can/will reply with any info or questions, if you post them here.
Same for me.
Similar issues occur with other downloadable games where people need to actually open the pager to notice the "PLAY" button. The pager should automatically pop-up or even better, add an option in-game where it would require instant play.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Similar issues occur with other downloadable games where people need to actually open the pager to notice the "PLAY" button. The pager should automatically pop-up or even better, add an option in-game where it would require instant play.

That's not the issue here...?
I know. I just thought it could be related to it and good for them to be aware of this too.

EDIT: This also happened to be with a few different games I cant remember.
I had the same issue with Break and had to run it through Dream Daemon to get it to work.
Wouldn't work for me either. Had to download the source and compile it to run it.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Wouldn't work for me either. Had to download the source and compile it to run it.

You can download from the Kaiochao.Break hub (the one with the issue) using the [Zip] link and it should run fine, according to previous users.

The Kaiochao.Breakout hub (the one with the source) isn't the same exact version.
I'll investigate this tomorrow and be sure to figure out what's up so it can be fixed in 500.
Nadrew changed status to 'Verified'
I have a preliminary fix for this that I just need to test against different ad modes/configurations.
I just discovered that this also happens for me with Forum_account's Exordium & Terminus, which is almost a few years old now.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Some games didn't start correctly after the splash screen appeared.