ID:136919

are the new versions approved for windows ME?
I'm using windows ME, and it works just fine for ME.
In response to Foomer
Augh! No! For that, you are deducted one point.

And you lose another for using Windows ME.

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
I can't help it, it came with the computer.
In response to Foomer
Really? I had to buy my bad puns seperately. :-)

-AbyssDragon
urrgg...you guys are getting worse each month... :)

pray tell: why ME? is not Win98 SE good enough? nor Win2000? i say strip thy machine of that abomination (and I'm not talking 'snowman' here) and embrace the new world - or at the least: Linux... your heart, mind, and wallet will thank you for it... :p
In response to digitalmouse
...Do they have fully functional BYOND for Linux, though?
In response to digitalmouse
I've run Linux before--even installed it without one of those newfangled install wizards they all come with nowadays (on a laptop it was near impossible to get hardware information about). I don't have it on my system at the moment because until recently I haven't had enough hard drive space.

-AbyssDragon
except for the lack of a snazzy GUI DreamSeeker, the Linux version of BYOND seems to work ok out-of-the-box... although it might be lagging behind the latest windows-version at this point - DanTom would best know about that of course...

not enough hard disk space? hmmm, you should take a look at some of the smaller distros of linux out there - many are very functional and come under 200 MB fully installed. The byond.digitalmouse.org site is running on Peanut Linux 8.1 (I believe) and that weighed in at only 80MB fully installed! It came with Apache, KDE and all sorts of apps for the console and GUI - pretty stable too, and secure as long as one keeps up-to-date with the occasional patches...(I understand that latest versions of Peanut are around 150-200MB nowadays...)

Of course you can usually customize your Linux install from many vendors - stripping out that which you do not need. And the top guys (Mandrake, SUSE, RedHat) are getting really good at hardware detection - I also use Mandrake, and it detects all the hardware attached to my laptop with no trouble...