ID:1371347

When you're making a game geared mostly towards PvP, what are your design goals? I find it hard to code something when I can't write out exactly what my players are expected to do.

What kind of combat? Real time?
A game geared heavily towards PvP is one about player death and I would start designing a system from there. Do you want the battles to be face paced and brutal (ending shortly) or do you want the person able to linger? Maybe be saved/spared?

Is the death permanent? What penalty does death serve? Is there a penalty at all?
In a PVP game I expect PVP and not much else.

Don't disguise your game as a RPG, don't make me punch a log or lift a sandbag. I want to open the game, find a player, and fight them.

Which brings me up to the next point. I expect the game to be based on player skill. Why should people have any advantage (other than skill) because they clicked on a log for a few days? Maybe the game is round based, everyone starting the same but the skilled players will take the lead, then when the round is over everything resets. That I can deal with. But I expect to win based on my own skill, not because my numbers are bigger.

That is all.
The Magic Man!!! Haven't seen your name in awhile =). Raruno, list to him. The Magic Man makes some of the most beautify crafted games on BYOND, bar none. Some people are just good at making fun games for no reason XD.
No one mentioned balance? Lol.

The most important thing in a PvP game is making sure every ability/class/weapon etc. has strengths and weaknesses. Heavy swords should deal a lot of damage while being slow and easy to dodge. A giant meteor spell with huge AoE should have a longer cast time, leaving the user vulnerable for a few seconds. A class that specializes in hit-and-run should be fragile and easy to kill, not as tanky as, for instance, a knight class that walks around in plate armor and a shield.

This is why I find Dota 2 a more enjoyable game gameplay-wise than League of Legends. League of Legends has too many cases where such and such champion absolutely sucks and no one uses it ever, but some champions are so broken they are insta-bans or first picks in every game. That's why you see them release a new champion and nerf it in the following week or so, because people complain and don't want to play a PvP game where one particular thing triumphs in every situation over everything else. That takes the skill factor away, which is what PvP games are about.
I have been playing team deathmatch online in the latest Call of Duty (black ops 2). And I think they managed to add RPG elements while keeping a balanced game.

In the game you gain experience and level up, which allows you to unlock various weapons, attachments for them, and abilities. You also have to level up each gun by using it - so you can't just instantly unlock all the attachments for a gun.

Anyway, some of the attachments are pretty damn good. One of the highest level attachments is a scope which allows you to see people behind walls. It only works for the small section of the screen that is behind the scope, and only through a single wall I believe, but it's still pretty amazing. However, it does not break the game. Regardless of attachments or perks or whatever, the main thing that determines your performance in a match is your skill - your ability to aim, to move at the right times and into tactical positions, your ability to work as a team, etc. The stuff you get from leveling up gives advantages to certain styles of play, but none of them turn you into an unstoppable machine unless you are a really good player to begin with.

Also, there are various "trumps" which cancel out other advantages. For example, some attachments have targeting systems which highlight enemies, or allow you to see them behind walls as I said above. But there is a perk called "cold blooded" which makes you immune to such targeting systems.
When i think of pvp i started designing around what people like and dislike about the pvp itself and then spiral out from there.