ID:137445

Will the Linux port of BYOND be updated again?
Surely. I think the very first version they always update is the Windows Version. Dan and Tom(i think tom does) mostly use the Linux OS. So you can probably expect it soon.

FIREking
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Surely. I think the very first version they always update is the Windows Version. Dan and Tom(i think tom does) mostly use the Linux OS. So you can probably expect it soon.

Dan is the avid Linux user, so typically the Linux version is our most updated. He usually just makes it available to the public as requested. We don't get many requests since it doesn't have a GUI yet and thus is mainly useful only as a server. For that purpose, however, it is quite solid.
In response to Tom
so what is the dream seeker like on linux? lol

FIREking
In response to Tom
That is why I am looking for it....for a server.
In response to FIREking
It is text-only. For an example, go to Layout | Icon Type | Text in the Windows version.

In response to Tom
Dragon Warrior Online requires 306 or better....Linux version is at 303. :-(

CableMonkey requests a release. Thanks.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
so what is the dream seeker like on linux? lol

I don't know about linux, but this is what Dung-Man looks like on FreeBSD:

In response to Air Mapster
EWWWWW!!
In response to Tom
THANK YOU!
In response to Nadrew
thank god for windows....
First I would like to note that I have not tried the following program and don't know how to work it. I only know what it generally does.

What this program might be used for, (i don't know if it's possible but...) is to run the Windows version of BYOND on Intel compatible systems. This means linux/unix users should be able to run the Windows version of BYOND on their systems with a bit of configuration. If it's possible this mean that Linux/Unix users can have GUI instead of that text-based thing.

WINE - http://www.winehq.com/
The following was taken from the WINE FAQ
What is Wine, and what is it supposed to do?
-Wine is a program which allows the operation of DOS and MS Windows programs
(Windows 3.x and Win32 executables) on UNIX.
It consists of a program loader, which loads and executes a Windows binary,
and a library that implements Windows API calls using their UNIX or X11
equivalents. The library may also be used for porting Win32 code into native
UNIX executables.
Wine is free software, and its license (contained in the file LICENSE in each
distribution) is X11 style.
Basically, this means that you can do anything with Wine except claim
that you wrote it.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
thank god for windows....

Au contraire, I say curse god for windows! Without it, the unix gui client would not have suffered its untimely death years ago and the world would be a better place...
..and it would be easier for me to beat the crap out of Bill Gates.
Long live text mode! Nothing better than a game that uses ASCII characters :).
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:

Rogue-a-licious..

-- Tarmas.
In response to Nadrew
I am completely and utterly baffled at what happened to my post. I posted something very similar to this last night and before I left I KNOW it said that I was the last to post. Anyways...

If you want to run BYOND with a GUI on Linux/Unix (as long as it is a Intel Compatible system) try this program:

WINE
http://winehq.com/

I have never used this program and only know a limited amount about it, but you can at least check it out. It supposedly runs windows programs and system commands using existing (hopefully) files. You can at least check it out, I have NO idea if it actually works, but it's in it's beta stage... i think.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:

...Except TWO games that use ASCII characters!
In response to Evilkevkev
Evilkevkev wrote:
I am completely and utterly baffled at what happened to my post. I posted something very similar to this last night and before I left I KNOW it said that I was the last to post. Anyways...

[link]

Looks like it's still there, at least for me.

If you want to run BYOND with a GUI on Linux/Unix (as long as it is a Intel Compatible system) try this program:

WINE
http://winehq.com/

This is an interesting option. Like you, I haven't tried running BYOND under WINE, but I'm curious to see if it does run. I do run it under VMWare for Linux running on FreeBSD (2 levels of emulation, cool!) and it works like a charm. I've said a few things about this stuff before:

[link]
[link]