ID:137554

I would soo love to have the option to change the smallest square a mob can move onto. So instead of having a mob only able to walk on a 32x32 turf, I could divide that 32x32 turf into smaller peices. Not the turf -itself-, but just the area that a mob could walk on.

I think I coulda worded that better, but I cant think of a way to do it *L*

Elorien

Heh, I've heard gurus say things like

"Once you reach a certain level of guruity, space isn't a problem."
- Deadron

They must really know somthing about this that we don't.
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
Heh, I've heard gurus say things like

"Once you reach a certain level of guruity, space isn't a problem."
- Deadron

They must really know somthing about this that we don't.

You saved me the typing time!

Yes this is quite doable, you just have to implement your own sub-turf methodology. How you would do it depends on what you need for the game.

But imagine supporting small bullets that miss if they don't actually touch the mob at that turf (because the mob is a 16-pixel dwarf for example, or a low wall). You'd probably do this by turning using a sub-grid for each turf, of whatever granularity you'd need. Break it up into 4x4 pixels, say, which turns a turf into an 8x8 grid.

For any dense object, store the upper-left and lower right boundary of the object on the sub-grid, then do your own collision detection with any other dense objects on the turf.

A minor pain to implement, but not hard.

I'd recommend starting by creating a mini-game where you can move a 4x4 little block around inside a turf. That will give you the technology you need.
In response to Deadron
Woah, that blew me away... could you show me an example for such a mini-game?