Wow DarkCampainger. I'm really impressed.
This looks largely based upon what I did earlier in this thread, but you have some stuff going on with the walls that's blowing my mind right now.

http://puu.sh/5OUhm.png

You musth ave some really complicated layering going on.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
I was actually going to use yours as a reference, but your images had expired by the time I had something working :P

The layering is actually pretty simple, sort of using the reverse of that layering trick you showed me in FW. I just layered the walls above the floor and floor shadows, and created a second shadow just for the wall.

Anywho, thanks for the compliment!
In response to DarkCampainger
Don't you need the walls to be alpha'd for the light?
Or are you using a subtraction blend mode?
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Ah, that's what you meant. Since I only have one light, I'm not bothering with that alpha-layering trick. Although, now that you bring it up, I wonder if I could use that method to add in static lighting on top of the single dynamic light... more experimentation is needed!
In response to DarkCampainger
You have me somewhat excited.
Not really using animate much, but it does use a lot of matrix transformations:

The scroll bar isnt directly adjustable yet, and Ive still got some issues with sizing the scrollbar, but its pretty neat so far.
In response to Flick
Is this using screen objects?

Have you tested this on blast (100 of them all constantly scrolling)
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Not really using animate much, but it does use a lot of matrix transformations:

The scroll bar isnt directly adjustable yet, and Ive still got some issues with sizing the scrollbar, but its pretty neat so far.

:O please release code.
In response to FIREking
Well, it uses... six screen objects. One for each arrow, one for the bar, and one for the chat. And no, I havent tested it out with a bunch of players yet. I'll see if I can work up a test.
Yikes...

Thats 101 chats, all updating at once. Ugly. It seems a little slow like this, 101 chats updated with 35 messages took around two seconds. Im not real sure how accurate that is though, since there are some sleeps in there, and doing that many screen updates at one time chokes the crap out of my system... Plus it isn't optimized at all.

EDIT: Taking out the sleeps knocked it down to one second, though there is still quite a bit of display lag.
@Flick: You might want to check this out:

http://www.byond.com/developer/Ter13/ImageScrollbarDemo

It permits HTML-customizable chat and all of the scrolling and input/output is handled on the client side due to it being entirely based on Javascript.
In response to Flick
Interesting now to see that difference vs 100 clients seeing it.

Its hard to test features like this without a big audience!
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
@Flick: You might want to check this out:

http://www.byond.com/developer/Ter13/ImageScrollbarDemo

It permits HTML-customizable chat and all of the scrolling and input/output is handled on the client side due to it being entirely based on Javascript.

Yeah, that is really nice, and to be honest, for just chat, I'd probably use that. But I can use this system for other things as well: player lists, game lists, announcements, etc. And I guess if you want to be able to transfer your game to the Flash Client, you won't be able to use extra browser controls. I guess using this for chat wouldn't be good for the Flash Client anyway, since there would be an unused chat window just hanging out...
Just a small update on this, I finally got around adding in the column shifting. All that's left is to turn it into a small playable game.

In response to Danny Roe
what if the columns shifted centered? you'd have a half tile to worry about for odd numbers but yeah, it would be cooler looking that way
That's not a bad idea, I'll put that in the notes of the project for a possible future update. For now I'm just happy that I got it working successfully after a fair few attempts at it.

The columns being shifted together could also be animated slightly. Maybe every block on the two columns that collides could wiggle like they do when falling on top of each other. It'd give it more, "Juicy-ness" so to speak.
for me i reckon there is such a thing as too much 'juicy-ness'.. already, i'm thinking you might wanna leave the extent of the animate/transform effects on the blocks at that (moving to the center thing would still be fine though) and then maybe focus on other aspects of the game, before it looked more like a jiggling mass of stuff you might just spend a... playful few moments with before being done with it (not saying that to be harsh).
I find it interesting that there's one point in your gif where you click a lot of blocks near the middle-left and they all vanish without the particle effects.
Good spotting Fugs, It happens twice with the green blocks.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19