ID:1379209

Resolved
Renaming files in Dream Maker could cause subsequent crashes, deselecting files from the project, and other unintended behavior if the sort order of the tree changed as a result.
BYOND Version:500.1206
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 29.0.1547.66
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Renamed some maps and then clicked the Refresh button and DreamMaker crashed.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Create 3 maps name alpha, bravo, charlie
2. Rename bravo to 1_bravo and charlie to 2_charlie
3. Click Refresh
4. Check both the renamed maps.
5. Compile and Run

Expected Results:
No Crash.

Actual Results:
Crash and what makes it worse is that all other .dm files and referenced libraries are unchecked after we deal with the crash and restart.

Does the problem occur:
Likely to be every-time. Not planning on going through that pain again though.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions?
I'm pretty sure I reported this a while ago.

Workarounds:
Don't rename maps for fear of BYOND crashing.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Verified'
I think there might be other issues with renaming files... I'm not sure. I've seen files get randomly un-included. Maybe it has to do with files changing position in alphabetical order upon refreshing the list?
Is this actually a beta bug? I've been experiencing crashes after renames for a while (along with other oddities). (id:1332811)
This just happened to me as well. I remember cursing to myself when it did because I remember reading this yesterday and completely forgot about it. Not that big of a deal, most of the time I don't rename stuff inside of DreamMaker but it was a lot that needed to be renamed so I did it from there and it crashed on the first one lol.
I've noticed that renaming files can cause IDE crash, this is something I've never reported because I figured they already knew about it.
The problem as I've investigated so far is that the update/refresh process seems to get confused and is deleting some pointers--possibly to reinstate them--but the list of current windows isn't being updated so it's holding onto dead pointers. I'm working on it.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Renaming files in Dream Maker could cause subsequent crashes, deselecting files from the project, and other unintended behavior if the sort order of the tree changed as a result.
I've moved this to Bug Reports as the actual bug predates 500.