ID:1379781

Hey, so recently I've been thinking a lot about learning games. Not just for kids at primary level but also for young adults and university students. Isn't it a dreamy idea to be able to play a guilt free game that is both fun and helping you with your work? Better yet, so fun that you have blissful productivity?

These kinds of games present a unique niche and allow designers to do some interesting things. I was wondering what your thoughts on educational games are. They aren't talked about too often so I thought I'd put it out there.
I think it's a pretty good idea. There is a demo of a Japanese language tutor, although the full version seems to be gone. I'm pretty sure Tom thought about pushing the project in that direction at some point.

Go for it.
Neat little program. That type of game I would personally consider to be learning software. What particularly interests me is the hybrid of a video game and learning software.

What I mean is games like this:

I know it's kind of old, as most learning video games appear to be but I think these games are a rabbit hole that goes much deeper. Like, what about a massively multiplayer interactive classroom kind of game? I've see people attempt it but none have really been successful.

The kind of game I always imagined as a kid was being in a great open world where games involved asking and solving questions with your friends, making new things from what I'd found and having people who were actually teachers in the game. So teachers could be hired as essentially moderators and to help players get along.

I wonder if this could still be done in something like a side scroller or isometric game or would it have to be a fully 3D game with all the latest graphics to interest kids? Or would it be just to interest the parents?
Although they may not be too popular, I do like educational games. I've created a few before for one of my siblings (7 years old) and they found it quite fun and useful. I must admit though that kids in particular find it much better when the game is talking to them as opposed to text on the screen.

Another one I made wan't a learning tool exactly. It allowed me to create a virtual representation of series and parallel circuits, then test the Voltage, Current and Resistance accross various points of the circuit. It let me know when I screwed up somewhere with my homework.

There's usually going to be better versions of learning tools online, but I find them really fun to make, and if a few people find it useful, all the better.
Make a physics game that allows you to crash things into each other. It'll be a hit
In response to Magicsofa
Danny Roe wrote:
Although they may not be too popular, I do like educational games. I've created a few before for one of my siblings (7 years old) and they found it quite fun and useful. I must admit though that kids in particular find it much better when the game is talking to them as opposed to text on the screen.

Thanks for that input. I really hadn't thought about text. You're right, children may have good listening and speaking skills quite young but they usually will take a significant amount of time to learn reading and writing. I remember as a kid actually having problems with learning games that didn't use speech because I had trouble reading the instructions. I usually worked them out with trial and error.

I'll remember this, it's a very good point.

Magicsofa wrote:
Make a physics game that allows you to crash things into each other. It'll be a hit

Kerbal Space Program has probably got that beat.

I use to play mathblasters in my schools computer lab as a kid. I loved playing that game and it helped me learn how to do math in my head which a lot of my peers still can't do.

It would be pretty awesome if someone could make a game based on college level math starting from like functions all the way up to statistics/calculus/analysis etc. I think it would be amazing if someone could turn it into an MMO that consist of the user battling equations to get drops and level up. And PvP would consist of rounds where users battle to solve the equation first for a round bonus that could give their character special abilities in the round while they fight each-other. Rounds could last like 6 minutes and continue until the characters are out of Health. A project like that would be a game changer. Just imagine the studying people could get combining MMO with school work. Studying history/geography/english while getting stronger in a game could be a hit if it's done right.