ID:1379948

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Using preload_rsc and setting it to a URL with the resource file is useful for diverting bandwidth to another server, so that players do not have to put up with a lot of lag when a new player (who has to download the game) joins... BUT there's a problem with it as it will always stream the resources instead of making the player download the resources first, before joining.

This causes issues with resources incorrectly occuring when I need them to, for example, I have 300+ small sound files that I want to play in specific order but when the resources are streamed it will play out of order even with the sound flagged to wait on a specific channel and has a long delay; it works perfectly without the game streaming resources and was play tested for several weeks before the server switched to streaming resources to save bandwidth.

If I code in the server directly giving the sound files then it negates the benefits and creates a long delay every time someone joins, so, I would like to see a preload_rsc option that lets you link the resources to download and have all players that join to pre-download the resources first; it would really help, also, I'm open to suggestions to fix this problem without this feature.
"Streaming" isn't exactly what happens here. I think you mean that the server merely doesn't prevent login and will allow the client to request resources on an as-needed basis that are still downloading from the .zip.
I think it'd be a nice feature to have if having them download the files made them wait and have everything loaded just as setting preload_rsc to 1 does. It's the only reason I can think of right now as to why I haven't set it to a URL yet.