ID:138073

2 things here...
I have played a few other peoples games, Dragonball and Fantasyquest online....

1. I notice that their is quite a bit of lag.
every step has a small delay. im guessing this is because everything is handdled server side.
woudlnt it be possible to have the less important and more common things (like movement) handled by the client? that is performed by the client and then sent to the server.

i know that in the big MMORPGs this reduces lag.

2. how big is the lag in large numbers.
Im making a game for lots of people, how many (roughly) will it be able to handle before the lag makes it unplayable?
On 4/30/01 9:49 am Mloren wrote:
2 things here...

every step has a small delay. im guessing this is because everything is handdled server side.
woudlnt it be possible to have the less important and more common things (like movement) handled by the client? that is performed by the client and then sent to the server.

Well, actually, a lot of the lag in those games comes from unoptimised code (sorry, but it is true).

Some of my games that have optimised source code run fluidly locally. Other games that don't, well, even lag on my end, and I'm the one hosting it.

Im making a game for lots of people, how many (roughly) will it be able to handle before the lag makes it unplayable?

We don't know, because we've never tried it. With the largest record of people online in a GoB being 11, and the largest number in DBZ games being about 20 or so, we don't have much of an indication. =)

The lag is mainly dependant on how many procs someone is executing per player in loops. The more looping procs there are, the more lag. Thus, the more players, the more lag. If a game is completely independant of its players, except their input (i.e. all loops are not based on the amount of players), then more players doesn't make a big difference, except when people are out of synch.

The lag on the Polaris server is also expected, since Polaris is really just a Pentium III, but with steroid-pumped bandwidth.

The more calculations that Polaris is running simultaneously, the slower every game goes for everyone. Even simple games like Backgammon lagged terribly when DBZ-Spar was run off of Polaris.
In response to Spuzzum
On 4/30/01 1:56 pm Spuzzum wrote:
On 4/30/01 9:49 am Mloren wrote:
2 things here...

Well, actually, a lot of the lag in those games comes from unoptimised code (sorry, but it is true).

Some of my games that have optimised source code run fluidly locally. Other games that don't, well, even lag on my end, and I'm the one hosting it.

We don't know, because we've never tried it. With the largest record of people online in a GoB being 11, and the largest number in DBZ games being about 20 or so, we don't have much of an indication. =)

The lag is mainly dependant on how many procs someone is executing per player in loops. The more looping procs there are, the more lag. Thus, the more players, the more lag. If a game is completely independant of its players, except their input (i.e. all loops are not based on the amount of players), then more players doesn't make a big difference, except when people are out of synch.

The lag on the Polaris server is also expected, since Polaris is really just a Pentium III, but with steroid-pumped bandwidth.

The more calculations that Polaris is running simultaneously, the slower every game goes for everyone. Even simple games like Backgammon lagged terribly when DBZ-Spar was run off of Polaris.

"every step has a small delay": well relly we put lag there (Kind of) to stop usr's from flying through the map. this will also stop larger lag later on. it called step delay it makes all usr's move at the same speed. if you ever played life story before i gaive him the code you wound get lag from moveing to fast.
In response to Xzar
"every step has a small delay": well relly we put lag there (Kind of) to stop usr's from flying through the map. this will also stop larger lag later on. it called step delay it makes all usr's move at the same speed. if you ever played life story before i gaive him the code you wound get lag from moveing to fast.

I think Mloren and I already knew that. ;-)

Actually, what I think Mloren was referring to was how the 'network delay' causes your commands to get queued up and slowed down. There is a delay between pressing the button and actually registering when network delay is greater than 1. On a machine like Polaris, the CPU isn't quite big enough to handle a few megagames at the same time. They'd upgrade it, if they had enough capital to do so.

I wish I had access to BCIT's mainframe. If I asked nicely, they would give access to a backend somewhere on their property, maybe (for a price). But that's a few years before I can apply to that university. And I'd have to pay for the server, which means that people who'd use it would have to pay me to keep that option open. But if we got the BCIT server, let me tell you, there'd be no problems! =)
In response to Spuzzum

In that case i will have to be the first to find out =p
for the beta of my game, i asked tha tpeople sign up through e-mail.
I even managed to get my game mentioned on an online game news site ( http://www.massivemultiplayer.org/ )

currently i have more than 55 beta testers, with more comming in every day.
I have 2 friends who have good computers, and they have beoth offered to host it, so if i get too many people, i may run 2 copies of the game