ID:138083

Could someone please tell me how to properly use the call() proc to call something? I can't seem to get it to work.
On 4/24/01 12:22 pm Manifacae wrote:
Could someone please tell me how to properly use the call() proc to call something? I can't seem to get it to work.

I nominate Guy. I never really understood it either but he seems to.
In response to Deadron
On 4/24/01 12:45 pm Deadron wrote:

I nominate Guy. I never really understood it either but he seems to.

I do, but I never actually use it, so I'm not certain if I'm right.

As far as I know, call() has to be target on something with arguments; that is, an implicit/explicit source for a verb won't work.

I.e. the following

obj/verb/drop()
set src in usr
src.loc = usr.loc

proc/Test()
call(/obj/verb/drop)()

might not work, since it doesn't know which obj to drop.

But the following:

mob/verb/drop(obj/O in usr)
O.loc = usr.loc

proc/Test(obj/O)
call(/obj/verb/drop)(O)

might. I have no idea, I nominate Guggy too. =)

There are two forms. In one, you make a direct call to a procedure as though it were a global unattached procedure. By unattached, I mean it does not have a src object.

That form works like this:

proc/Proc1(A,B)
   return A + B

mob/verb/test()
   usr << call(/proc/Proc1)(3,4)   //should display 7

The second form of call() is where you want to call a procedure (or verb) attached to an object. In that case, you access the proc by name rather than by its path in the code tree.

mob
   proc/Proc1(A,B)
      return A + B

verb/test()
      usr << call(src,"Proc1")(1,2)  //should display 3

In this case, all the normal rules of inheritance apply, so if the object overrides Proc1, the overridden definition takes effect. In the global proc case I mentioned first, you are calling a specific procedure in the code tree, so inheritance has nothing to do with it.

Hope that helps.

--Dan