ID:138085

If its not too much trouble, could we think about implimenting multi-sampling for wave files? I know theres a priority based sound code out there, but I really need multiples sounds to play at the same time for things to sound right in Maeva.
On 4/22/01 3:33 pm DerDragon wrote:
If its not too much trouble, could we think about implimenting multi-sampling for wave files? I know theres a priority based sound code out there, but I really need multiples sounds to play at the same time for things to sound right in Maeva.

But it is a lot of trouble. ;-)

I've been bugging them for months about this, so it's probably listed, somewhere.

What they really need to do is find some way of getting rid of mmtask and instead using some sort of integrated sound program, complete with multiple sound channels, and even possibly dynamic positioning.
In response to Spuzzum
On 4/22/01 9:11 pm Spuzzum wrote:

What they really need to do is find some way of getting rid of mmtask and instead using some sort of integrated sound program, complete with multiple sound channels, and even possibly dynamic positioning.

Yep, that's the gist of it. I've researched this feature request a few times, and I'm quite certain it won't be too much of a challenge once I can finally get around to it. It will probably require a new 'sound' type for the language, though, just to give finite control over the various parameters. There's also the issue of whether it should be done using some recent API (like DirectSound)-- sacrificing some portability-- or cludged with a software mixer implementation.

This is similar to the graphics problem-- at some point I'd like to update the BYOND icon model to handle arbitrary graphic formats and sounds. Again, it is a task that is quite do-able, but will take some time and will introduce additonal paramters to the language. These are things we are trying to avoid at the time, so that's why these features are only "Listed" for now.