ID:138086

Hi , is the version of byond still avialble for linux? I don't see it on the download page anymore. Last I remember it was a text only version but would it be possible to host a game using the version of byond for linux with graphics for people connecting using windows clients? or would it not compile at all with map files?

Final question is would the windows byond run on a linux machine using a windows emulator?
On 4/21/01 11:08 am CRAPINTOSH wrote:
Hi , is the version of byond still avialble for linux? I don't see it on the download page anymore. Last I remember it was a text only version but would it be possible to host a game using the version of byond for linux with graphics for people connecting using windows clients? or would it not compile at all with map files?

Final question is would the windows byond run on a linux machine using a windows emulator?

Someone can run it on a Mac using a windows emulator. Linux might work that way too.

For some reason, Dantom stopped focusing on BYOND for Linux. And it was even originally FOR Linux! With a GUI and everything!

I can understand how they needed to focus on Windows to get a lot of the features that they have now (since Linux operates very differently and has no Internet Explorer), but it would have been nice if they maintained cross-platform compatibility.

Oh well.
In response to Spuzzum
On 4/21/01 11:31 am Spuzzum wrote:
Last I remember it was a text only version but would it be possible to host a game using the version of byond for linux with graphics for people connecting using windows clients? or would it not compile at all with map files?

I believe that would be possible, were the linux version still available for download. It does still exist, of course, because that's what Dantom's server runs.

Yep. http://www.vmware.com/ Or if you don't want to shell out the money for that (excellent product, though), it may work under WINE. I haven't played with WINE in about 6 years, so I have no clue if it does.

For some reason, Dantom stopped focusing on BYOND for Linux. And it was even originally FOR Linux! With a GUI and everything!

Actually, I believe the original version of Dung was for SGI. Easily ported to Linux, of course, but the gui port didn't happen til Q3 1996. I imagine Dan had a text port earlier, perhaps even concurrently with the SGI in the beginning, but I don't know the history as well from his side of things.

I can understand how they needed to focus on Windows to get a lot of the features that they have now (since Linux operates very differently and has no Internet Explorer),

True, but Mozilla is coming along quite nicely and works as an embeddable component much like IE. Useful for when the time comes to revisit that. ;-)

but it would have been nice if they maintained cross-platform compatibility.

Yep. I think Tom can attest that I've dropped him hints about this over the years. Being a former linux user of 7 years (now FreeBSD, I have seen the light), I think I would have gotten into BYOND a little earlier if the linux/unix gui had stayed throughout. But I eventually broke down and started using the Windoze port and quickly got addicted... I'm even building a Windoze machine of my own out of spare parts so I don't have to use my employer's laptop for BYOND anymore. ;-)

Of course, it's not feasible for Dantom to stop everything and focus on porting the gui back to unix right now, but I have confidence that it will happen. And when it does, I will complain loud and clear if linux is the only supported unix version. ;-)
In response to Air Mapster
On 4/22/01 12:50 am Air Mapster wrote:

Of course, it's not feasible for Dantom to stop everything and focus on porting the gui back to unix right now, but I have confidence that it will happen. And when it does, I will complain loud and clear if linux is the only supported unix version. ;-)

Fair enough. Once we start making a bit of money from this we'll try to port over to various platforms. It shouldn't be difficult, but it might take some time.

If anyone needs the linux server, just email us and we can package it up. I took it down because it was both outdated and not linkable with current linux libraries.
Hi , is the version of byond still avialble for linux? I don't see it on the download page anymore. Last I remember it was a text only version but

would it be possible to host a game using the version of byond for linux with graphics for people connecting using windows clients?

Absolutely. Many of the games in the hub are hosted on our linux box. Compiled BYOND worlds are completely cross-platform compatible. We just need to compile DreamDaemon for the target platform. If there is demand for any other OS, let me know and we'll work on making it available.

Obviously, making a gui version of Dream Seeker and Dream Maker is a larger task. I have a working text version of Dream Seeker that runs in a terminal and I do most of my DM development in a plain text editor (jove). Editing maps or using worlds that make heavy use of the map or browser pretty much requires windows at the moment, however.

At this very moment, I am compiling the release version of the linux binaries and will put it up on the download page.