ID:138095

ok i have some c code of a game.... the game runs in *nix and i have nothing to run it on.... so i figured why make it a text game when i can port it into byond! WELL I CANT DO IT! IT IS IMPOSIBLE TO PORT ANYTHING MORE COMPLEX THEN A FIGHTING SYSTEM IN BYOND! i was going to just put the complex space system as an external program that byond uses... but i found it cant do that eather.... i need some REALLY good programers to help me(you tell anyone what the game is and ill find something bad to do to you! {cant think of anything right now....}) it is going to be a text based space system that has infinet coardinates... it will have a space fighting system based on how far away you are going the trijectory of each ship and the speed of each going in what ever direction.... it is NOT a simple task.. the game i am porting from has over 100 skills.. it has 12 races and 12 classes... itis going to be a killer game (but huge) i just can do it... (hey i bet you can help!) it will take a while to start work on it becase most the programers i have to help me are busy....wel whatever...
On 4/13/01 5:29 am jobe wrote:
ok i have some c code of a game.... the game runs in *nix and i have nothing to run it on.... so i figured why make it a text game when i can port it into byond! WELL I CANT DO IT! IT IS IMPOSIBLE TO PORT ANYTHING MORE COMPLEX THEN A FIGHTING SYSTEM IN BYOND!

Like hell it is! =)

DM has almost all features of any other language out there, which leads most people here to say that it is indeed an actual language (not a scripting language, like snooty C/C++ purists would say).

I depends on your skill level, first. I say try making your own combat system from scratch, and then that would give you all the necessary skills you need to port something over. What you have to do is make a program design.

When you look at the C code (assuming you know C, that is =), read the results into english, and write them down on paper. Eg.

make a string
while the number is bigger than 1
decrease the number
add a space to the string

...which you then transfer from English to DM. So if you see "make a string" on your pseudocode, you would make a string in BYOND:

var/string = ""

And so on. Admittedly, the process is a bit more complicated than that, but most if not all features of C are enjoyed by DM too (and without a copious amount of #include definitions!). Don't start writing anything in Dream Maker until you've totally completed your English pseudocode, and then, once you have, do it as cleanly and consistently as possible.

i was going to just put the complex space system as an external program that byond uses... but i found it cant do that eather.... i need some REALLY good programers to help me

What does the external program do? Calculate coordinates, that sort of thing? It is possible to get a program communicating with BYOND (though only in ASCII, as far as I know, until Dantom releases a Savefile DLL or something). Just run your external program using the shell command in BYOND, and have the program write to some arbitrary file. Then load and parse that file into a list (using Deadron's dd_file2list()). Read each separate list entry, and you've got your output.

(you tell anyone what the game is and ill find something bad to do to you! {cant think of anything right now....})

Interesting way to get help. ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
On 4/13/01 2:12 pm Spuzzum wrote:
On 4/13/01 5:29 am jobe wrote:
ok i have some c code of a game.... the game runs in *nix and i have nothing to run it on.... so i figured why make it a text game when i can port it into byond! WELL I CANT DO IT! IT IS IMPOSIBLE TO PORT ANYTHING MORE COMPLEX THEN A FIGHTING SYSTEM IN BYOND!

Like hell it is! =)

DM has almost all features of any other language out there, which leads most people here to say that it is indeed an actual language (not a scripting language, like snooty C/C++ purists would say).

I depends on your skill level, first. I say try making your own combat system from scratch, and then that would give you all the necessary skills you need to port something over. What you have to do is make a program design.

When you look at the C code (assuming you know C, that is =), read the results into english, and write them down on paper. Eg.

make a string
while the number is bigger than 1
decrease the number
add a space to the string

...which you then transfer from English to DM. So if you see "make a string" on your pseudocode, you would make a string in BYOND:

var/string = ""

And so on. Admittedly, the process is a bit more complicated than that, but most if not all features of C are enjoyed by DM too (and without a copious amount of #include definitions!). Don't start writing anything in Dream Maker until you've totally completed your English pseudocode, and then, once you have, do it as cleanly and consistently as possible.

i was going to just put the complex space system as an external program that byond uses... but i found it cant do that eather.... i need some REALLY good programers to help me

What does the external program do? Calculate coordinates, that sort of thing? It is possible to get a program communicating with BYOND (though only in ASCII, as far as I know, until Dantom releases a Savefile DLL or something). Just run your external program using the shell command in BYOND, and have the program write to some arbitrary file. Then load and parse that file into a list (using Deadron's dd_file2list()). Read each separate list entry, and you've got your output.

(you tell anyone what the game is and ill find something bad to do to you! {cant think of anything right now....})

Interesting way to get help. ;-)

well it seems you know what you are doing... althogh the shell thing would not work.. space fighting is real time.. i looked into it(some) and found that the shell command would not send and receave fast enof to keep up with the space fighting program... i would really like you to help me code this thing.. about me finding something bad to do... it was just a joke to stress the point that this is TOP SECRET untill the final realease (although i will be adding things once a week after the final) still i would really like your help.. that gose for enyone intersested.. this will definatly be the bigest thing byond has ever seen!
In response to jobe
well it seems you know what you are doing... althogh the shell thing would not work.. space fighting is real time.. i looked into it(some) and found that the shell command would not send and receave fast enof to keep up with the space fighting program... i would really like you to help me code this thing..

I'd love to help, but I have a nearly infinite amount of other things I need to do right now. =P

about me finding something bad to do... it was just a joke to stress the point that this is TOP SECRET untill the final realease (although i will be adding things once a week after the final)

Yeah, yeah, I know. Hence the wink. ;-)