ID:138099

Is the ability to upload tutorials and such not in place yet? I had a vague idea that it was, but Step BYOND is listed as a demo/tutorial and doesn't show up anywhere on the site that I can find...
On 4/10/01 12:11 pm Deadron wrote:
Is the ability to upload tutorials and such not in place yet? I had a vague idea that it was, but Step BYOND is listed as a demo/tutorial and doesn't show up anywhere on the site that I can find...

"A Step BYOND Deadron A fun little tutorial RPG with fully commented source code to help you create your own worlds."

it under demos in the byond hub :)
Is the ability to upload tutorials and such not in place yet?

It is. You just do it through the hub. We are making a few changes, including creation of a separate class for "tutorials", which tend to be documents, as opposed to "demos", which tend to be DM projects, such as Dantom.FormDemo. I recently moved some of the things I had posted as demos into the respective library that they dealt with. (See Dan.Maze for an example of that.)

We are also about to elliminate the option to provide a "download URL" as the mechanism of distribution, since this just results in confusion. The preferred mechanism is to upload a zip file directly to the hub. The reason is that this will give the user automatic version update notification and installation and potentially a number of other bonuses, such as showing up in a list of installed tutorials/demos.

Another class I would like to add soon is a DM project template.

If you have not created a new hub entry in a while, I encourage you to do so now (but back out at the last instant when it asks for the login URL or zip file and it won't actually do anything). The "wizard" will probably make a number of things clearer, such as how you can structure your package to get the effect you want. The final screen that just shows you all possible fields to edit is confusing and is one of the things we are currently changing.

Even though I tried to make the wizard as self-explanatory as possible, the process could use even more documentation--perhaps even a tutorial!

Let me know if you have more questions...

--Dan

p.s. When you get a chance, post your "Deadron Lib" to the hub as well! To use it, people will have to change how they include it. For example:

#include
which is short for
#include

Or you can leave it as "Deadron.dm" but then it would be

#include
or longhand
#include

Talk about getting some name recognition!
In response to Dan

I should mention also that the DM Hub is about to become better integrated with the rest of the site. Right now it may seem like a rather hidden feature.

--Dan
In response to Dan
On 4/10/01 2:12 pm Dan wrote:
I should mention also that the DM Hub is about to become better integrated with the rest of the site. Right now it may seem like a rather hidden feature.

--Dan

Yes it looks like most of my confusion is because the BYOND Hub link at the left does not point to DMHub.
In response to Deadron
On 4/10/01 2:59 pm Deadron wrote:

Yes it looks like most of my confusion is because the BYOND Hub link at the left does not point to DMHub.

Agreed! I'm hoping that the new web layout (which will be up once we settle a few final issues) will help resolve any remaining problems with finding the various features. We want you to post tutorials, really!