ID:138102

As we approach a 1.0 of DragonSnot, I'd like to include a license with the purchased version that prohibits people from providing it for free download and such.

Any pointers to where to find some good license text?
On 4/3/01 2:57 pm Deadron wrote:
As we approach a 1.0 of DragonSnot, I'd like to include a license with the purchased version that prohibits people from providing it for free download and such.

Not off-hand, and I didn't bother to look =), but there's something else along those lines.

Dantom had better make some sort of legal statement and privacy statement, pronto! Simply saying 'as far as we are concerned, your email address is private' is not enough in today's legalese-oriented backstab world. =P

The legal statement would also have to include prohibitions on the sale of BYOND as a product, as well as charging for a BYOND game through a non-BYOND means. Hey, if everyone chose to use PayPal rather than BYONDimes, you'd quickly be out of business! Heck, you've been running out of cash for years now. ;-)

Back to you, Ron, all I know about is THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS-IS" BASIS kind of disclaimers, not legal agreements. You could go get a law book from somewhere, or even just go ask a lawyer-friend or something. You do have a lawyer-friend, don't you? Of course you do. =)

[edited] Actually, there's a great example of a really complete license agreement: the one that comes with Windows. I know, I know. But it really is complete.
On 4/3/01 2:57 pm Deadron wrote:

Might be worth checking out this article... at the very least it might suggest some useful search terms. Somewhere out there, I'm sure someone has a guide to writing an EULA...

In response to Spuzzum

The legal statement would also have to include prohibitions on the sale of BYOND as a product, as well as charging for a BYOND game through a non-BYOND means.

Actually, I am not concerned. If anybody out there wants to sell their game for some other currency, by all means do so! We intend to make BYONDimes the most convenient and hassle-free method of doing it, which means we don't need to bind anybody with a legal agreement.

My next project is to add a system for download payments in the hub so you can charge a small fee when people install your game. Should be fun to try.

--Dan