ID:138125

http://www.freewebspace.net/guide/freegamesite.shtml

here is a site that lists a lot of em.
On 3/15/01 2:55 pm Xzar wrote:

They actually shows only sites that host game-related sites. BYOND requires special program (by BYOND) to host.
In response to sunzoner
On 3/20/01 5:20 am sunzoner wrote:
On 3/15/01 2:55 pm Xzar wrote:

They actually shows only sites that host game-related sites. BYOND requires special program (by BYOND) to host.

Technically, that's by Dantom, but your case in point is justifiable. A server that hosts sites is somewhat different than a server that grants shell access to host BYOND games. A web account only allows for transfer of HTML and other multimedia streams over the connection; a shell account allows a direct connection to the server so that two separate computers can communicate, upload, and manipulate information. If you have a shell account, even, BYOND must be installed on the server; unless the administrators are willing to spend the 20 minutes it takes to download and install BYOND, you're out of luck. Some shell accounts give you permission to install BYOND into your own account, in which case you'd need to be a master of UNIX commands to be able to do it. Of course, since the Linux version of BYOND is sadly outdated, it would be rather counterproductive...
In response to Spuzzum
I hope we can get other sites to host BYOND games in the near future. The Linux version downloadable here is quite out of date, but of course we have an updated version; it's what we run at dantom.com! It's quite trivial to setup and install, so if other sites are willing to host games, it shouldn't be a problem. We're even planning on making the host.dmb program available so people can run their own host services and register them right on the hub. This of course will be necessary once we become ridiculously popular and require a thousand machines just to keep up with the games.
In response to Tom H.
On 3/22/01 11:56 pm Tom H. wrote:
I hope we can get other sites to host BYOND games in the near future. The Linux version downloadable here is quite out of date, but of course we have an updated version; it's what we run at dantom.com! It's quite trivial to setup and install, so if other sites are willing to host games, it shouldn't be a problem. We're even planning on making the host.dmb program available so people can run their own host services and register them right on the hub. This of course will be necessary once we become ridiculously popular and require a thousand machines just to keep up with the games.

Personal opinion, but you know my biases, so take it with a grain of salt:

I think it would look really nice when you get to this point to have server executables available for several unix platforms, not just Linux. I know you have access to Sun, SGI, other? through your former employer in Irvine. I have a FreeBSD machine that you're more than welcome to an account on for compiling. Hopefully it'll be mostly just that: a recompile on each platform. Hey, does wavefun have any MacOS X machines? That would be really slick if you guys supported that as a server platform as well (and eventually gui client, along with the other traditional unixes, but that's my unreasonable wishlist, heh). It's basically unix (FreeBSD actually) under the hood too.
In response to Air Mapster
On 3/23/01 12:13 pm Air Mapster wrote:

I think it would look really nice when you get to this point to have server executables available for several unix platforms, not just Linux. I know you have access to Sun, SGI, other?

Yes, it won't be a problem to do this once we have a "final" version-- as you said, it's mainly just finding hte machine and doing a recompile. Right now it's just not worth the time and hassle (with each platform having its own enjoyable nuances) given that most people here don't have their own personal workstations.

Eventually I'd like to reinstate the X gui so that we can have clients for other platforms (like linux) too, but that's a slightly more difficult task!