ID:138131

Lately games in development are popping up everywhere.There are about 30 games so far (completed and unclompleted) and most have been posted this month and late last month. A majority is rpgs. Anyone know why so many people are making games?
On 3/12/01 6:46 pm Geo wrote:
Lately games in development are popping up everywhere.There are about 30 games so far (completed and unclompleted) and most have been posted this month and late last month. A majority is rpgs. Anyone know why so many people are making games?

Has the BYOND sensation swept across the nation?

A lot of new users seem to be getting involved and realizing that making games is just as, if not more enjoyable, than playing them. I think it's great.
In response to Tom H.
On 3/12/01 6:49 pm Tom H. wrote:

A lot of new users seem to be getting involved and realizing that making games is just as, if not more enjoyable, than playing them. I think it's great.

Hopefully, though, you'll implement a genre-specific search soon, because the combined listing is overwhelming... =P

For the "traditional" MUD I'm going to make, I'm actually going to go for a graphical, sci-fi MUD, which would be kind of a mix between Shadowrun, Fallout, and Cyberpunk... I have all of the material needed, all I need to do is finish AntWorld and then see where the road takes me.

Unfortunately, I also have two other ideas; a player-designed MUD (where players buy regions of the world, then build them as desired) and a text-based MUD, which everyone knows and loves. Fortunately, though, I haven't done any code on them!

I'm wondering if I should scrap any of these other projects of mine... I have the will, but not the means, to finish them. Maybe I should start up Raptor Enterprises for real and see if I can get some team members doing graphics, music, and sound.
In response to Spuzzum
On 3/12/01 7:05 pm Spuzzum wrote:
On 3/12/01 6:49 pm Tom H. wrote:

Hopefully, though, you'll implement a genre-specific search soon, because the combined listing is overwhelming... =P

As I've pushed for before, it would be great to have a "briar patch" section for unfinished games to be listed. Any new player coming in is quite likely to try 3 games in a row that are unavailable or unfinished and then quit trying BYOND, thereby missing the batch of games they might enjoy.
In response to Spuzzum
I'm wondering if I should scrap any of these other projects of mine... I have the will, but not the means, to finish them.

Well, I'd say just put them all on a "potential projects" list and let the list keep growing... a long list of ideas rarely hurts! Better than not having any, that's for sure. And as time goes by, you may think of interesting ways in which two games can be combined into a single, better game.
In response to Guy T.
On 3/12/01 7:22 pm Guy T. wrote:
I'm wondering if I should scrap any of these other projects of mine... I have the will, but not the means, to finish them.

Well, I'd say just put them all on a "potential projects" list and let the list keep growing... a long list of ideas rarely hurts! Better than not having any, that's for sure. And as time goes by, you may think of interesting ways in which two games can be combined into a single, better game.

Hey, that's reassuring. Thanks. =)
In response to Spuzzum
I was searching for a while for a program to be able to make my RPG with. I wanted something online which was real hard to find until I found BYOND.
The RPG system has been in development for over 5 years.
In response to Deadron
On 3/12/01 7:18 pm Deadron wrote:

As I've pushed for before, it would be great to have a "briar patch" section for unfinished games to be listed. Any new player coming in is quite likely to try 3 games in a row that are unavailable or unfinished and then quit trying BYOND, thereby missing the batch of games they might enjoy.

Yes, this is a great idea, and we'll be implementing it soon. Also, we'll have some game categories to make the list a bit less imposing!