ID:138138

Okay I'm about to play with having multiple .dmp files that the game loads in.

First problem I realize...I don't know which level a map was loaded at.

It would be nice if there were a way to name a map level, then call a function or look at a list to find out where that level is. Hmm, locate() would be ideal for this.
On 3/7/01 6:01 pm Deadron wrote:
Okay I'm about to play with having multiple .dmp files that the game loads in.

First problem I realize...I don't know which level a map was loaded at.

It would be nice if there were a way to name a map level, then call a function or look at a list to find out where that level is. Hmm, locate() would be ideal for this.

Yes, I think that's a good idea.

In the meantime, you can almost do it by making a unique object (perhaps an area) for each map, perhaps through the instance editor. Just set the tag variable and then use locate("tag") to jump to the relevant map.
In response to Tom H.
On 3/7/01 6:15 pm Tom H. wrote:
In the meantime, you can almost do it by making a unique object (perhaps an area) for each map, perhaps through the instance editor. Just set the tag variable and then use locate("tag") to jump to the relevant map.

Yup that was my next thought.

By the way, I just stumbled across a neat little trick you guys put into areas!

Turns out that if the default area icon is a .bmp larger than 32x32, the area will automatically handle the larger icon, even tiling it if necessary!

So for example, I can have a 64x64 icon and lay down 2x2 areas that fill with that icon. If I make the area 4x4, then it does the right thing.

This is extremely cool because it allows large bitmaps without needing to place an object on the map and without my needing to break up the icons. Also makes it easy to replace a large icon. Unlike with objects, you don't have to delete each tile individually. You can just fill another area over it.