ID:138146

Can the BYOND version number for the demos, libraries and snipplets files be included in the respective webpage?
With so many updates, some functions and declaration may be out of date/replaced/removed. With the version numbers in the webpages, Newbies could better figure out what is wrong with their programs modeled on those files.
For example, a demos written for BYOND 2.6, may already be out dated.
The same updates of the BYOND reference and guide should be done. If not total changes, some notes pertaining to the latest change to the codebase should be included in the file.
On 3/1/01 9:22 pm sunzoner wrote:
Can the BYOND version number for the demos, libraries and snipplets files be included in the respective webpage?

There's a new DM InfoCenter coming, but it seems Dan and Tom have once again procrastinated on it. I'm sure they already have that, and if they don't, they'll implement it in a moment's notice. =)

After all, three weeks ago they said I'd have it two-weeks-and-six-days ago. ;-)

Anyway, usually all code is backwards compatible. Even code with outdated procedures still works, but it generates a warning.

The only library on the page that isn't compatible is the PantsQuest demo. And even that is easily remedied by changing all occurrences of 'overlays' to 'p_overlays'. I assume Guy will remove that one from the new InfoCenter, because it really isn't necessary to have anymore. After all, the built-in overlays do almost all of what PantsQuest does.

For example, a demos written for BYOND 2.6, may already be out dated.

Nope, not true. The only real difference is the prompt() to input() change. The prompt() proc works fine, but it generates errors because it will be replaced by the input() proc.

The same updates of the BYOND reference and guide should be done. If not total changes, some notes pertaining to the latest change to the codebase should be included in the file.

They're usually quite excellent with updating the reference; the guide, however, takes a bit more time to update because it is less formal and thus needs to be rewritten informally. The reference follows a strict format, so it's easy to add/modify new entries, but the guide needs to have entire sections reworked after modifications.
In response to Spuzzum
On 3/2/01 12:54 am Spuzzum wrote:

There's a new DM InfoCenter coming, but it seems Dan and Tom have once again procrastinated on it. I'm sure they already have that, and if they don't, they'll implement it in a moment's notice. =)

Just recently Dan came up with the clever idea of making the InfoCenter a part of the hub, so you'll be able to upload snippets, libraries, and demos that will automatically update for users who have previously downloaded (and "subscribed" to) them. There seems to be a pretty solid community of coders now and I think everyone will be able to benefit from this kind of shared pool of resources. It's the current project, so expect it soon.