ID:138158

I was just thinking, something that would make the dream maker map editer really powerful would be to allow a pattern type thing. Something that would allow you customize turfs so that when you place it on the map it would make a check and then automatically place another turf to the south, or north, ect. Something like the warcraft map editor, so that when you have turfs that are ment to blend into other turfs it would automatically place the transitions. I would absolutely love this feature, since it would save me allot of time making maps.
Dern, people always bury my posts before anybody gets a chance to read them.
On 2/22/01 5:20 pm ebonshadow wrote:
I was just thinking, something that would make the dream maker map editer really powerful would be to allow a pattern type thing. Something that would allow you customize turfs so that when you place it on the map it would make a check and then automatically place another turf to the south, or north, ect. Something like the warcraft map editor, so that when you have turfs that are ment to blend into other turfs it would automatically place the transitions. I would absolutely love this feature, since it would save me allot of time making maps.

I think... I think... Tom and Dan are planning a change to maps anyway, that would make them savefile-based or something and allow us to write our own code to do things like that. Anyone know what this was all about?

Z
In response to Zilal
I think... I think... Tom and Dan are planning a change to maps anyway, that would make them savefile-based or something and allow us to write our own code to do things like that. Anyone know what this was all about?

I think they were considering this, though at the moment I'm more eager to see them produce the legendary Big Release! (Which, the first time I really got excited about it, was scheduled for January 2000... which isn't a knock against Dantom by any means, because the features added in the past year have been excellent, but merely an indication of how much accumulated eagerness I have...)

But I digress. Yes, they had this on the drawing board, but I don't *think* it would affect the map editor's workings. What it would do is let you create a map in the map editor, run some code, and save the changed map for future map editor work.

This is a good idea, except... it's not anything you can't do with the language as it is!

Let's say you have two turfs that should blend into each other: sand and grass. If a grass turf is adjacent to sand, you should overlay a partial sand icon. Well, all you have to do is override grass.New to do the right thing when the world is created! For example:

var/cardinalDirs = list(NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST)

turf/grass/New()
. = ..()
var/turf/T
for(var/myDir in cardinalDirs)
T = get_step(src, myDir)
if(T && istype(T, /turf/sand))
//then overlay the proper graphic as needed.