ID:138166

Can I go to register.com or something, register a domain name, then put my game on that? I'm not too clear on the whole thing, would I need to buy a server? Thanks for all yer help,
Gilser
There are two separate "spaces" to talk about. One is BYOND and one is the internet in general. You can buy your own internet domain and then pay someone to host it. For example, Network Solutions:

<FORM ACTION="http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click" >
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="siteid" VALUE="34322559" >
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="categoryid" VALUE="box3">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="bfmid" VALUE="115761" >
<INPUT type="hidden" NAME="Host1" VALUE="NS19784-HST">
<INPUT type="hidden" NAME="Host2" VALUE="NS24701-HST">
<INPUT type="hidden" NAME="Tech" VALUE="TH2197">
Domain Name <input name=DomainName>

<input type=submit value='Look it Up'>
</FORM>

You would then be able to put up a web page accessible through your own internet domain. (We happen to provide a web hosting service, but there are thousands of others too.)

As for putting up a game, that is a little different. If the site you host your domain with offers BYOND hosting, you could host your game through them. I say that somewhat facetiously, because at this moment, Dantom is the only host site that is BYOND-enabled, but we are inviting competion and have made all the necessary software freely available.

So the answer is, yes, you can buy your own domain and we could host it for you. The domain would cost about $35 per year and the cheapest site with web+byond+email space that we offer is 4 dimes per day. Even though that is the cheapest site, it gives you a lot of power. You can even write interactive web sites using BYOND's CGI mode. It also comes with a free sub-domain (your-key.byond.com), so you don't even need to buy a domain if that suits your purpose.

An even more expensive solution is to buy your own server. That runs to the tune of $150 to $500 or more per month and you would have to BYOND-enable it yourself and probably learn a lot about UNIX in the bargain. A DSL or cable modem run out of your own home would be another slightly less expensive solution.

If something is still unclear, don't hesitate to ask. I can remember being a mit mystified by networks when I first got acquainted with them.

--Dan
In response to Dan
So the answer is, yes, you can buy your own domain and we could host it for you. The domain would cost about $35 per year and the cheapest site with web+byond+email space that we offer is 4 dimes per day.

It's probably worth mentioning that the $35 is a separate fee, charged by Network Solutions (or a competing registrar) for maintaining the domain name in a table that correlates it with a real Internet address. It has nothing to do with BYOND, except inasmuch as you have to provide them with the information that points yourname.com to Dantom's hosting service.