ID:138185

The parser system proc that figures out which target the usr wants has finally been written (without extra features, thus far) and *appears* to be debugged! One of the more complex things I've written, it is. Possibly more even than the Backgammon legal move checking. I should go comment it before I forget what everything does.

If you have some plain black suede slippers, you can type "get plain slip," or "get black sue slipper," but "get suede black slip" will not work.

Now I need to figure out how to allow adjectives that are not part of the thing's adj list, such as "third" or "my". Uh oh!

Z
On 2/14/01 8:01 am Zilal wrote:
Now I need to figure out how to allow adjectives that are not part of the thing's adj list, such as "third" or "my". Uh oh!

I'm glad I have no particular need to write parsers...ugh.
The parser system proc that figures out which target the usr wants has finally been written (without extra features, thus far) and *appears* to be debugged!

Hey, this should be in the Creations forum! For shame, for shame... But congratulations anyway! Maybe we can beat on it at Thursday's GoB. I'd say we could do it tonight, except I'm planning to see Hannibal...

In response to Guy T.
On 2/14/01 10:39 am Guy T. wrote:
Hey, this should be in the Creations forum! For shame, for shame...

Oh... you think? Until my things are ready to be hosted/distributed I tend to think of them not as creations but as, well, ideas. I feel uncomfortable hawking a lump of unplayable code as a creation. (Maybe I should have petitioned for a name change to "projects".) And since I had no design philosophies or code problems, or bugs, but news, and am not a newbie, that left General and Babble. In my little world, anyway. And since I tend to reserve babble for non-BYOND things, there you go. Shameful Z!

I'd also forgotten that the parser needed to be able to figure out what the target was from a mixed list of text and objects. So I can "smile happily" AND "smile Abdul."

Z Z Z
In response to Deadron
On 2/14/01 9:32 am Deadron wrote:

I'm glad I have no particular need to write parsers...ugh.

Heh! That's what I said, "Ugh!". It took me two weeks of fighting with BYOND trying to get a natural language parser working before realizing it was way beyond my abilities (or frustration level).

- -
The parser system proc that figures out which target the usr wants has finally been written (without extra features, thus far) and *appears* to be debugged! One of the more complex things I've written, it is. Possibly more even than the Backgammon legal move checking. I should go comment it before I forget what everything does.

Excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

And I trust you are now using the command_text = "> " after all of your, erm, "delicate requesting"?
In response to Tom H.
On 2/14/01 7:08 pm Tom H. wrote:
And I trust you are now using the command_text = "> " after all of your, erm, "delicate requesting"?

Delicate requesting! Yes, I do.

I got it working today so that you could do "get second slippers," but not "get second suede slippers," I don't know why yet, and "get my slippers" but not "get my other slippers."

Z