ID:138187

WOW! this Program rules ! I have been reading it all and.. it makes sence ! :))))

OmegaRed
On 2/13/01 12:07 pm OmegaRed wrote:
WOW! this Program rules ! I have been reading it all and.. it makes sence ! :))))

OmegaRed

Thanks!

Tom and Chris Johnson (right?) did the original game and all the neat content (I love those little blue guys running around...)

I ran it through the Deadron coding mill and added the comments.

So it's sort of been a multi-year open source project...

At some point I'll probably be bored of other things and add some other standard RPG stuff to it, like hit points and combat.
In response to Deadron
Can I ask u somethin? well here it is, When I right something like

var/tmp/sound = 'RocktheDragons.mid'

and I compile, It gives me errors. and I dunno what to do, either continue and maybe they will go away with more data or fix it now. Does this require more code that I would right later on? or should it be fixed immediatly?

OmegaRed
(as you can see I like DBZ ^^) :)
In response to Deadron
On 2/13/01 12:48 pm Deadron wrote:
Tom and Chris Johnson (right?) did the original game and all the neat content (I love those little blue guys running around...)

Yep, Chris (a mutual friend of ours) did the icons back in '95 and '96. As I recall, back when BYOND was DUNG and it was intended more to be simply a graphical MUD, Tom was hoping to have Chris on board to do all the icons for it. Of course, now it's a totally different beast, allowing the users themselves to create their own worlds with their own icons, so I don't think Chris has done any icons for them since.

While we're giving credit, though, I might as well toot my own horn a bit and mention that I did the cheesy MIDI files in it right around mid/late '96. You can smack me now if you're sick of them. ;-)
In response to OmegaRed
I dunno what to do, either continue and maybe they will go away with more data or fix it now. Does this require more code that I would right later on? or should it be fixed immediatly?

It's a good idea to try to fix compilation errors as they occur, because if you keep plugging along, it becomes harder and harder to tell where the errors are coming from as they start "cascading"--one error throws the compiler off the tracks, so to speak, and you start getting all sorts of false errors.

If you post more of the code, maybe we can figure out what's wrong...
In response to Guy T.
K here goes Guy,

#define DEBUG

#define RED 1
#define GREEN 2
#define BLUE 4
#define YELLOW RED|GREEN
#define MAGENTA RED|BLUE
#define CYAN GREEN|BLUE
#define WHITE RED|GREEN|BLUE
#define BLOOD 8
#define RED_BLOOD RED|BLOOD
#define BLUE_BLOOD BLUE|BLOOD
#define MAGENTA_BLOOD MAGENTA|BLOOD
#define OTHER_BLOOD WHITE|BLOOD

#define RED_NAME "red"
#define GREEN_NAME "green"
#define BLUE_NAME "blue"
#define YELLOW_NAME "yellow"
#define MAGENTA_NAME "purple"
#define CYAN_NAME "blue-green"
#define WHITE_NAME "white"
#define BLOOD_NAME "murky"
#define RED_BLOOD_NAME "murky red"
#define BLUE_BLOOD_NAME "murky blue"
#define MAGENTA_BLOOD_NAME "murky purple"
#define OTHER_BLOOD_NAME "brown"

world
name = "The temple of DOOM"
mob = /mob/pc
turf = /turf/ground
view = 8

area
icon = 'floor.dmi'

var/tmp/sound = 'RocktheDragons.wav' ( I get 3 ERRORs when I type this)

Anything?

BTW this is part of Step Byond code :)

OmegaRed

In response to Air Mapster
On 2/13/01 1:13 pm Air Mapster wrote:
While we're giving credit, though, I might as well toot my own horn a bit and mention that I did the cheesy MIDI files in it right around mid/late '96. You can smack me now if you're sick of them. ;-)

Nah, those served as the music in my games for months!
In response to OmegaRed
On 2/13/01 1:20 pm OmegaRed wrote:

Well that's being defined as a global variable (the variable is not tied to an object), so the tmp is unnecessary and may be confusing things.

And I'll take a guess that a global variable named sound may be conflicting with some built in BYOND functionality.

Try changing it to:

var/rock_sound = 'RocktheDragons.wav'

If that gives you errors, post the errors for us (but do so in the Code Problems or Newbie forums!)
In response to OmegaRed

OK, good start... but what *are* the errors? Knowing the error text may help pin it down.

Also, was the var/tmp/sound line in there before, and you just changed the name of the file? Or is it all new? If you just changed the filename, maybe the compiler just can't find the file... you might have to copy it into your project directory. Also you might have to check capitalization (is it RocktheDragons or RockTheDragons?).

In response to Guy T.
On 2/13/01 1:27 pm Guy T. wrote:

OK, good start... but what *are* the errors? Knowing the error text may help pin it down.

Also, was the var/tmp/sound line in there before, and you just changed the name of the file? Or is it all new? If you just changed the filename, maybe the compiler just can't find the file... you might have to copy it into your project directory. Also you might have to check capitalization (is it RocktheDragons or RockTheDragons?).

Its all in the right file, look at the newb forum to see the errors! :)
Ill check caps now

Omega
In response to Deadron
On 2/13/01 1:21 pm Deadron wrote:
On 2/13/01 1:13 pm Air Mapster wrote:

Nah, those served as the music in my games for months!

I thought they sounded quite professional!