ID:138202

I am experiencing a large amount of lag when people log out from my game. I beleive its coming from saving the character, is there a way to stop the lag or spread it out over a period of time or something?
On 2/11/01 6:28 am ebonshadow wrote:
I am experiencing a large amount of lag when people log out from my game. I beleive its coming from saving the character, is there a way to stop the lag or spread it out over a period of time or something?

Sure there are strategies...

First off, if character saving is a big hit, it's probably time to upgrade your saving strategy.

How much stuff is being saved with a character?

If the problem comes down to how much stuff is saved with a character, there are 2 important possibilities:

First, make sure nothing unexpected is being saved. Sometimes big save times mean that you are saving half the world (because, say, the character has a group list which is not declared as tmp, so the entire group is being saved with them).

Second, if you just have that much stuff to save with characters, you probably need to move to not saving the character all at once. This implies that you store some things in separate directories and load/save them as needed, rather than everytime.

I can provide examples of this later, if you'd like -- right now I have to go!