ID:138210

I was thinking, how about being able to make an EXE for a game that pplz can play from, and not be able to host the game or have to connect to it. Just an EXE. I don't think this would come any time soon, just an idea of mine.
Maybe, just something to play without using BYOND. Because most people would not play anything things that requires installation.
Maybe, just a small installation packkage?

On 2/2/01 4:26 pm Cinnom wrote:
I was thinking, how about being able to make an EXE for a game that pplz can play from, and not be able to host the game or have to connect to it. Just an EXE. I don't think this would come any time soon, just an idea of mine.
In response to sunzoner
On 2/3/01 8:31 am sunzoner wrote:
Maybe, just something to play without using BYOND. Because most people would not play anything things that requires installation.
Maybe, just a small installation packkage?

I used to have this concern also, but a recent feature seems to have taken care of it. Now, if you build an exe package, when the player runs it, it will check for BYOND and give them a link to install BYOND if necessary.

Yes this is still installing a separate package, but it doesn't feel like that to the player. If you never tell them that there is another package to install (the DragonSnot page does not, for example), then to them it's just another step in the install process, the kind of thing they have to do for games all the time. They don't have to go looking for the package or anything, they just have to click on the link they get.

We haven't had a single person complain about this for DragonSnot, and I've noticed that more people actually install BYOND this way than the old way, so I think the problem is pretty much fixed.

On 2/2/01 4:26 pm Cinnom wrote:

I assume you know that you can build an exe package now (it's just an exe that is wrapped up in a zip file for you...), from the Build menu.

But not allowing people to host from that exe is a good point...it does seem like designers should have the option of turning this off (some games ARE single player only, and some game revenue models might depend on controlling ability to host).

Perhaps the nice people at Dantom will put it in or let us know if it's already there...