ID:138238

Can BYOND be used to create a web based game? I'm thinking more in term of a strategy game like "archmage". The game "conflict" made with byond is not as good as the web based games as it need the players to search for players before they could play. Since the many players could be in different time zone, co-ordination amy be differcult. So is there a way to make a persistent world or a web based game?
On 1/5/01 11:35 pm sunzoner wrote:
Can BYOND be used to create a web based game? I'm thinking more in term of a strategy game like "archmage". The game "conflict" made with byond is not as good as the web based games as it need the players to search for players before they could play. Since the many players could be in different time zone, co-ordination amy be differcult. So is there a way to make a persistent world or a web based game?

You can create either a web-based game or a persistent world...or a web-based game using a persistent world. BYOND is quite flexible about such things.

Could you describe more of what you have in mind?
In response to Deadron
On 1/5/01 11:49 pm Deadron wrote:
On 1/5/01 11:35 pm sunzoner wrote:

You can create either a web-based game or a persistent world...or a web-based game using a persistent world. BYOND is quite flexible about such things.

Yes, actually, what most people don't know is that NOTHING over the 'net, except Java, is actually real-time. All web-based programs connect with a running program to display data, and communicate with that program with data. The connection to the web-based game itself opens, displays the data, then closes immediately. Then when the player clicks a button, the connection opens up again, performs that task, then closes once more. You have to design your games with that in mind. And Conflict wasn't designed to be a web-based game anyway...

If you're willing to wait a year (honestly =P), I have the majority of the code worked out on a browser-based strategy game system that I call Cosmos; it'll be open source and extremely object-oriented so that anyone can look at it, tweak it, and make their own, completely original game with it with minimal effort.
In response to Deadron
Could you describe more of what you have in mind?

I was thinking of making a strategy game based on the "Romance of the Three Kingdom" period. It will be like "Utopia", in which players control small portions of a "kingdom" (There can be many Kingdoms) called "province" or some other name to be decided. The game-play will be like "Utopia". it will be turn based, with very little graphic.
Players will use their web Browser to login. Playing with their browser.
Intereactions between Players will be through "message board" within their Kingdoms.
The game will be concentrated on Land grab and resource manipulation.
I was wondering if it can be done with BYOND. If it can be done, how to do it? Any tutorials available?
In response to sunzoner
On 1/6/01 8:36 pm sunzoner wrote:
I was wondering if it can be done with BYOND. If it can be done, how to do it? Any tutorials available?

This would be very easy to do in BYOND. Someone familiar with the system could set it up very quickly.

Lots of documentation, tutorials and code snippets are available through the DM InfoCenter link on the left side of this page.

Also, there is a BYOND development book available. Not to mention lots of help from people in this conference.
In response to Deadron
On 1/6/01 10:16 pm Deadron wrote:
On 1/6/01 8:36 pm sunzoner wrote:

This would be very easy to do in BYOND. Someone familiar with the system could set it up very quickly.

Again, shamelessly self-promoting myself, I'm making an object-oriented web-based game library called Cosmos that will let any user do this very thing. It seems that there's a demand, so maybe I'll bump it up the production line.

Mine's based off the Shadowmere browser-based game at Shadowmere.com. But it's likely there's some fundamental details that are the same; I have taken a look at Utopia before, but it sounded pale compared to Shadowmere. Personally, Shadowmere's the grandaddy of most B-B games, because it was started back in '96 (when it was called Forgotten World). =)
In response to Spuzzum
I have played both shadowmere and utopia. Presently, I'm still torn between the two. With Shadowmere getting my attention.
Since you are making a shadowmere-alike, I'll stay my project, and spend more time working my datails out. Good progress to yours.