ID:138245

I just created a private cerulea directory here, and restricted access to a list of BYOND users. I can get in fine with both Zilal and Juice keys, which I put on the list, but my friend says he cannot get in, and he is clearly on the list, spelled correctly.

Could one/some of the BYOND regulars check and see if they can get in?

Also, when requesting a list of names, it tells you to put them in separated by spaces. But this is going to be a problem with keys that have spaces in them.

Z
On 12/23/00 8:54 pm Zilal wrote:
I just created a private cerulea directory here, and restricted access to a list of BYOND users. I can get in fine with both Zilal and Juice keys, which I put on the list, but my friend says he cannot get in, and he is clearly on the list, spelled correctly.

Could one/some of the BYOND regulars check and see if they can get in?

It doesn't seem to work for me. I can try to look at the script a bit later, if you'd like.

Also, when requesting a list of names, it tells you to put them in separated by spaces. But this is going to be a problem with keys that have spaces in them.
Ah, good point.
In response to Tom H.
On 12/23/00 9:58 pm Tom H. wrote:
It doesn't seem to work for me. I can try to look at the script a bit later, if you'd like.

Sure. The list of users I allow is exactly "Zilal Juice Cerulea Tom Dan Guy Spuzzum Deadron Mutate Zonkto", and Zilal and Juice work fine for me (haven't tried Cerulea). It isn't of the most vital importance. Cerulea is going underground and I don't care too much if I'm the only one who can see the site!

Z
In response to Zilal
On 12/23/00 10:16 pm Zilal wrote:
On 12/23/00 9:58 pm Tom H. wrote:

Sure. The list of users I allow is exactly "Zilal Juice Cerulea Tom Dan Guy Spuzzum Deadron Mutate Zonkto", and Zilal and Juice work fine for me (haven't tried Cerulea). It isn't of the most vital importance. Cerulea is going underground and I don't care too much if I'm the only one who can see the site!

Oh, it worked for me just now. Nifty! You seem to have a knack for learning about these new features before anyone else (including me)!

I see why my problem was-- I forgot that the authorization is case-sensitive (I was trying "tom" before).
In response to Tom H.
On 12/23/00 10:22 pm Tom H. wrote:
I see why my problem was-- I forgot that the authorization is case-sensitive (I was trying "tom" before).

Ohhhh... Are you going to make it un-case-sensitive, or shall I just warn users?

Z
In response to Zilal
On 12/23/00 10:58 pm Zilal wrote:
On 12/23/00 10:22 pm Tom H. wrote:

Ohhhh... Are you going to make it un-case-sensitive, or shall I just warn users?

Well, we don't have any control over that, since it's all handled by the .htaccess. However, there are two entries in the password file for each key (eg: Tom and tom), so you can put them both in your script if you want to support that.

In the long run, we might not go with this .htaccess system. I personally prefer a cookie-based system similar to the forum accounts, but it is a bit less secure. I think we can probably find a good compromise given a bit of research.
In response to Zilal
Sure. The list of users I allow is exactly "Zilal Juice Cerulea Tom Dan Guy Spuzzum Deadron Mutate Zonkto"

It sounds like the mailing list for the Zappa Family Reunion!

Any chance of adding Gtell to the list? I think I may actually own the key "Guy," but if so, I have no idea what the password is...