ID:138253

I've just installed the Linux version of BYOND on my Linux partition. It worked fine and dandy through the install and such, but when I went to run the programs, either as root or as my username, I got absolutely nothing... no error messages, no windows, nothing at all.

Any thoughts?
On 12/16/00 11:36 pm Spuzzum wrote:
I've just installed the Linux version of BYOND on my Linux partition. It worked fine and dandy through the install and such, but when I went to run the programs, either as root or as my username, I got absolutely nothing... no error messages, no windows, nothing at all.

Any thoughts?

It could be a bunch of things. First off, are the programs even being recognized as executables? I've had problems due to differences in the ELF and a.out architectures. Make sure they are chmod 755 (just type 'chmod 755 DreamDaemon' etc) and then test again. DreamDaemon is the simplest of the programs, so test that one first. If you do 'DreamDaemon test.dmb' (where test.dmb is some world of yours) it should output the standard message and grab the shell. If it returns the prompt to you without any message then I'm guessing there is an architecture problem.

You may need to install some libraries to run DreamSeeker; it requires libcurses.

Note that there are no graphical GUIs for the linux version yet. We'll get to that eventually.
In response to Tom H.
It could be a bunch of things. First off, are the programs even being recognized as executables?

I'm pretty sure they are. I'm using Linux-Mandrake, and they appear as pictures of gears, which is the executable icon.

I've had problems due to differences in the ELF and a.out architectures.

If that made sense to me, I'd have a better response... =)

Make sure they are chmod 755 (just type 'chmod 755 DreamDaemon' etc) and then test again.

Oh, yeah, it was universal (777) permission. Or does it have to be 755?

DreamDaemon is the simplest of the programs, so test that one first. If you do 'DreamDaemon test.dmb' (where test.dmb is some world of yours) it should output the standard message and grab the shell. If it returns the prompt to you without any message then I'm guessing there is an architecture problem.

Will do... first I need a .dmb from somewhere...

You may need to install some libraries to run DreamSeeker; it requires libcurses.

Well, to the poorly-written, completely informal Mandrake Manual! I think I have that installed already, but I can never be sure.

Note that there are no graphical GUIs for the linux version yet. We'll get to that eventually.

I knew that. I'm just wondering why it won't work, is all.

Do note that I have two problems with Linux, currently, that might have some sort of effect; my video drivers are incompatible, and my MIDI isn't hooked up properly. Other games (like Xconq, one of my favourites for both Linux and Windows) work fine, though.