ID:138266

Fixed: The stat & verb panels were sometimes retaining their values when moving between worlds.

I hadn't reported this because it didn't annoy me much, but when you started up a world, logged out, then logged back in again by hitting enter, the old stat panels remained until they were overridden. I'll presume that's fixed?

Fixed: Selected text in Dream Seeker was being removed when new text was inserted. (Zilal)

Finally!

Fixed: The scroll position was getting messed up a bit when toggling between "text" mode and "pager/browser" mode. (Zilal)

Finally, x2!

Expansion on the client command line now avoids re-calculating expensive server-side lookups when expanding subsequent arguments. The reason it was doing this in general was for rare cases in which the syntax of later arguments depends on earlier arguments. It now detects when this is not applicable. In other words, tell(mob/M in world,T as text) should no longer lag between every word. (Guy T)

Excellent. That should help considerably, though I'll still have to wait for Cerulea to keep up with my 56+ WPM. =)

Added DM instruction: browse_rsc(file,name). This is for transfering files (ie images) to the user's cache directory that will be subsequently referenced by an html page displayed by browse(). (Spuzzum)

YAY! YAY YAY YAY! Now to see if it works. Just as a possible question, though, does this in any way provide a medium for destructive designers to transmit cached executable nukes onto client computers? You might need to restrict the file type.

Added client.show_verb_panel. It is on by default, but if you don't want the verbs taking up any space on the screen, set it to 0. (AbyssDragon?)

I think it was Z, actually.

Added isicon(). Good call, Spuzzum. (Sorry, Gughunter, I didn't have time to slip in isroom(). I want to think about that for two minutes, but I admit that under the current system, there is no straightforward to tell if an area is off the map (you have to look for turfs in the contents list). And you can do istype(X,/list) for lists.)

You should still have the islist() shorthand! After all, you have the ismob() shorthand, and istype(X,/mob) works the same!

Thanks for isicon(), though. Now to finish s_missile.

Added a "password" user input type so you can prompt for a password without having it echoed to the screen when the user types. This only works with prompt() and should not be used with verb arguments. (Al)

That might come in handy...

The client-server now automatically queries the user (via a hypertext link) to open a port for multiuser hosting. Worlds are run in single-user mode by default, but you need merely click on the link to change this. You should probably remove your default-port setting from seeker.txt if it has a numerical value, since currently that will override this new security-conscious feature. We'll probably do away with this setting completely in a future release.

Not sure if I understand. I'll download and find out. =)

The client automatically launches the "New Key" dialog when users don't have a key in their key.txt file (ie- upon first use of BYOND). (Deadron)

Good. That would be highly useful.

The verbs panes are a now little more intelligent in packing entries, so as to optimize space. Some other UI optimizations have also been added, but they aren't worth mentioning here.

Good to hear.

Dream Maker now has a "clean compile" option that removes the .rsc file before compilation. This is useful when, in the course of the development process, you find yourself adding to and removing resources from the project. The normal compilation mode won't remove unused resources between compiles, which can lead to larger .rscs than are necessary. This is a good option to use just before you upload your program to the server, since it will minimize the file size. It is also the default option now when you make an "EXE distribution". Note that you should not use this option when you don't have the original resource files for your project, since those are needed to rebuild the .rsc.

The "Build EXE option" now generates a zip file that can be distributed to others. This format is most convenient because it automatically unzips into a -safe directory (having the same name as the EXE).

Both of those sound great (except if you were to clean compile without the resource sources!). When it generates a zip file, does it need WinZip to be installed or something, or does it use a .dll?
On 12/8/00 11:32 pm Spuzzum wrote:
Finally!

Finally, x2!

Hey, speaking of things that've been on The List for a long time... I hope tab stops and faster horizontal highlighting in the Dream Maker are inching their way up!

Excellent. That should help considerably, though I'll still have to wait for Cerulea to keep up with my 56+ WPM. =)

Heh, that drives me batty too! Cerulea is quick as a whistle when I run it locally, but expansion seems to take forever on the server. Sometimes it's faster to just type whole words out.

Added client.show_verb_panel. It is on by default, but if you don't want the verbs taking up any space on the screen, set it to 0. (AbyssDragon?)

I think it was Z, actually.

If I suggested it, I don't remember... which isn't out of the question

Both of those sound great (except if you were to clean compile without the resource sources!). When it generates a zip file, does it need WinZip to be installed or something, or does it use a .dll?

I tried it; it creates a regular WinZip-needing .zip file.

Thanks for all the changes, guys!

Z
In response to Zilal

No, I mean, does it need WinZip installed to actually create a zip.
On 12/8/00 11:32 pm Spuzzum wrote:

The client-server now automatically queries the user (via a hypertext link) to open a port for multiuser hosting. Worlds are run in single-user mode by default, but you need merely click on the link to change this. You should probably remove your default-port setting from seeker.txt if it has a numerical value, since currently that will override this new security-conscious feature. We'll probably do away with this setting completely in a future release.

Not sure if I understand. I'll download and find out. =)

In the old system, whenever you booted up a world locally the "default-port" setting was used to determine if a port on your machine was opened to allow others to connect. That was a bit cludgy, because it allowed people to connect to your machine when you were testing just because you might have turned it on for one particular session. Now, whenever you boot up a world you get a little output url that says "click here to allow others to connect". If you do this, your world will appear on the pager, etc. It fits into the new hub scheme (which encourages distributed hosting) really well too. You'll see.

I'm glad you like the new features. This week involved a lot of work for both of us.
In response to Spuzzum
On 12/9/00 12:00 am Spuzzum wrote:

Oh... laugh... that's a good question! I am SO helpful.

Z
In response to Spuzzum
On 12/9/00 12:00 am Spuzzum wrote:

No, all the zip stuff is done internally.