ID:138299

Is it possible to have the Dream Maker take spaces that aren't surrounded by letters into account? For instance now, if I want to replace all the "usr.ch"s but not the "usr.channeling"s, a search for "usr.ch " won't help me because the thing doesn't acknowledge that space.

Or if I have a long string of words separated by spaces, but I want them to be separated by colons. I cannot search for " "... it thinks I'm trying to search for nothing.

(The ability to indicate tabs and carriage returns in find/replace would be great too, but if it's hard to implement, don't worry about it.)

Also, you know how you can do a find/replace to cover all files, but if you want to undo it, you have to go through the files one by one? That's getting to be a nuisance with 35 .dm files. Will there ever be an "undo in all files" option?

Z
On 11/19/00 1:53 pm Zilal wrote:
Is it possible to have the Dream Maker take spaces that aren't surrounded by letters into account? For instance now, if I want to replace all the "usr.ch"s but not the "usr.channeling"s, a search for "usr.ch " won't help me because the thing doesn't acknowledge that space.

That's easy enough. Listed.

Also, you know how you can do a find/replace to cover all files, but if you want to undo it, you have to go through the files one by one? That's getting to be a nuisance with 35 .dm files. Will there ever be an "undo in all files" option?

This is workable (and in fact the old Dream Maker used to do it this way), but it involves a little finesse. For instance, if you edit one of the files in which a global replace has been done, how should that file respond to an attempt to undo that find/replace operation? Issues like this made me decide to handle undoes on a per-file basis. However, I suppose we could make an exception for the common case when a global replace is done and undone without any intervening operations.
In response to Tom H.
On 11/19/00 3:15 pm Tom H. wrote:
This is workable (and in fact the old Dream Maker used to do it this way), but it involves a little finesse. For instance, if you edit one of the files in which a global replace has been done, how should that file respond to an attempt to undo that find/replace operation? Issues like this made me decide to handle undoes on a per-file basis. However, I suppose we could make an exception for the common case when a global replace is done and undone without any intervening operations.

This isn't a huge deal to me, and I doubt anyone else has (or will have in the near future) as many files in one project as I do. So don't worry about putting this on the List just yet.

Z