ID:138303

I was just wondering if the nice folks at byond had gotten around to implementing code that allows you to alter the palette of icons. Have they?

On 11/17/00 1:07 pm Manifacae wrote:
I was just wondering if the nice folks at byond had gotten around to implementing code that allows you to alter the palette of icons. Have they?

Uh, you can alter the palette by double-clicking on any colour you want to change.

It also automatically adjusts colours if you supply it with an icon in 256 colours (other than the standard 256 that BYOND comes with).

You can save a palette as a .dmi file at any time. Likewise, you can load a palette from a .dmi file.
In response to Spuzzum

Uh, you can alter the palette by double-clicking on any colour you want to change.

Yes yes I know about that!

It also automatically adjusts colours if you supply it with an icon in 256 colours (other than the standard 256 that BYOND comes with).

You can save a palette as a .dmi file at any time. Likewise, you can load a palette from a .dmi file.

So could I load a palette for an icon while the game is running?
In response to Manifacae
On 11/17/00 3:48 pm Manifacae wrote:

Oh, you're talking about runtime colormap editing. You can't do that yet. However, you can alter the colors on an icon by using the icon manipulation routines. Eg:

myicon = 'icon1.dmi' + 'icon2.dmi' // blends two icons
myicon = 'icon1.dmi' + rgb(128,0,0) // a "redder" icon1.dmi

That might help you out.
In response to Spuzzum
On 11/17/00 1:35 pm Spuzzum wrote:

I notice that if I paste in something that uses all but, say, 16 color slots, and then I make another icon_state and try to paste in something that has more than 16 new colors, nothing happens. No paste, but also no message of "That would cause the icon to have more than 265 colors" either.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 11/17/00 4:46 pm Zilal wrote:

I notice that if I paste in something that uses all but, say, 16 color slots, and then I make another icon_state and try to paste in something that has more than 16 new colors, nothing happens. No paste, but also no message of "That would cause the icon to have more than 265 colors" either.

I have been unable to reproduce this. It's supposed to paste the new image, using the existing palette to approximate any unavailable colors. That's working for me, but maybe I'm not testing the same case. If you can reproduce the problem, send me the image(s) and tell me what I need to do.
In response to Tom H.
On 11/17/00 5:02 pm Tom H. wrote:
I have been unable to reproduce this. It's supposed to paste the new image, using the existing palette to approximate any unavailable colors. That's working for me, but maybe I'm not testing the same case. If you can reproduce the problem, send me the image(s) and tell me what I need to do.

Odd... this used to happen to me a lot, but I can't reproduce it now. Did something change in the past couple releases? I'll let you know if it happens again.

Z
In response to Tom H.
That's exactly what I was looking for! Thankyou.

Oh, you're talking about runtime colormap editing. You can't do that yet. However, you can alter the colors on an icon by using the icon manipulation routines. Eg:

myicon = 'icon1.dmi' + 'icon2.dmi' // blends two icons
myicon = 'icon1.dmi' + rgb(128,0,0) // a "redder" icon1.dmi

That might help you out.