ID:138319

Okay, I decided the DDT should be first into the breach for the hubification stuff...

Once I fixed the usr thing, the hub links show up fine.

What is the number that shows up above the player key?

Live/
DragonSnot/
7/
Deadron

The number (7 here) changes each time I open a link.

The private link under the game path is not as visible as it could be...you have to know to click on the game name to see the Live subdirectory.

Any chance of showing that the Live directory is there, like so?

DragonSnot
Because you're the janitor. And it's snot.
Live

On 10/31/00 6:34 pm Deadron wrote:
Okay, I decided the DDT should be first into the breach for the hubification stuff...

Hmmm...I think we're back to needing a more obvious "Host this game" type of menu item, or a whole 'nother approach. Right now, to host a game on the net, you have to know to go into preferences and look at the server tab, then you have to understand all this talk about ports.

If we want the teaming hordes to be self-hosting games like Sheep II, then it will need to be very easy and obvious how to do it, with no talk of ports or other scary things. Port stuff can be hidden away in preferences, with the default for a served world being 0 (to find whatever port is available).

Hmm...perhaps we need both a menu item and an API. Then in our games we can put a big button or a prompt or a link in front of the player asking if they want to host the game.

In response to Deadron
If we want the teaming hordes to be self-hosting games like Sheep II, then it will need to be very easy and obvious how to do it, with no talk of ports or other scary things. Port stuff can be hidden away in preferences, with the default for a served world being 0 (to find whatever port is available).

I too think the default port setting should be 0. Tom has a valid point, however, that this may inadvertantly open you up to visitors from the net when you are just testing something locally without thinking about the fact that you have an open network port.

The solution that I propose is to have the compiler launch stuff like this: file://world.dmb:local. That overrides the default port setting, which we could then safely make 0 so that a network port is opened by default when not running from the compiler.

What is the number that shows up above the player key?

I intend to hide that, which is why I didn't document it. That is a temporary unique identifier for the hub entry. There is no reason why anybody would need to know it.

The private link under the game path is not as visible as it could be...you have to know to click on the game name to see the Live subdirectory.

I was assuming that people scanning live games in general would go to the top-level live directory and people who want to look at a particular game would go into that game's directory (possibly having it bookmarked or something).

However, I agree that in this case and possibly a few others, the hub needs to show more than one level at a time to save users the trouble of having to go into and back out of every little directory in the tree.
In response to Dan
On 10/31/00 11:11 pm Dan wrote:
The solution that I propose is to have the compiler launch stuff like this: file://world.dmb:local. That overrides the default port setting, which we could then safely make 0 so that a network port is opened by default when not running from the compiler.

Sounds good to me!
In response to Dan
On 10/31/00 11:16 pm Dan wrote:
However, I agree that in this case and possibly a few others, the hub needs to show more than one level at a time to save users the trouble of having to go into and back out of every little directory in the tree.

Thanks. By the way, I think the hub is going to be a pretty cool way to do things.