ID:138338

...that the size of the map area in the dream seeker cannot be set by x and y values? That would really improve the appearance of some games. My backgammon board is 14x12, and currently I must either have weird black space around the board, allow players to see only part of the board at a time, or spend more time than I want to coming up with graphics to fill in the black space. Could visible map space be untied from world.view, maybe?

I believe coders will want this feature in the future, too, so I don't feel too bad asking about it. Anyway, just think of all the fun things you could do with non-square map windows. Or with map windows you could dynamically adjust the size of during runtime, for that matter.

Z
On 10/25/00 12:02 pm Zilal wrote:
...that the size of the map area in the dream seeker cannot be set by x and y values? That would really improve the appearance of some games. My backgammon board is 14x12, and currently I must either have weird black space around the board, allow players to see only part of the board at a time, or spend more time than I want to coming up with graphics to fill in the black space. Could visible map space be untied from world.view, maybe?

A good thing that I used to fill in the blank space around the board is to use RGB 152,153,152. It's one off of the mask, so it doesn't show up transparent, but it matches the Dream Seeker background perfectly (to the naked eye).

==> The More You Know

I believe coders will want this feature in the future, too, so I don't feel too bad asking about it. Anyway, just think of all the fun things you could do with non-square map windows. Or with map windows you could dynamically adjust the size of during runtime, for that matter.

Yup, I was actually wanting to make backgammon myself, but since you've done it first, I won't bother! Thanks for saving me some work! ;-)

Adjusting them at runtime... well, that could get annoying, you know.
In response to Spuzzum
A good thing that I used to fill in the blank space around the board is to use RGB 152,153,152. It's one off of the mask, so it doesn't show up transparent, but it matches the Dream Seeker background perfectly (to the naked eye).

I think the mask is 192, 192, 192; and my windows are set up to use light blue instead of gray. :P

But still, it's a good suggestion!

Heh, heh, heh... that would be a hoot...
In response to Guy T.
Neither of those colors match the background of my dream seeker.

Heh, heh, heh... that would be a hoot...

I am all for features that the coder could abuse to annoy the players. If a game is annoying, people just won't play. I have never seen it as a problem.

There are better ways to limit a player's view in a game, but it would still be a nice feature to have. Right now I can only imagine the uses.

Z