ID:138341

When my mouse pointer is over the map. the curssor tends to flicker and go invisible.. more often than not, I can't see it. This makes mouse-based games rather dificult sometimes, especially if I'm moving the mouse around a lot very quickly--its always invisible then. Does anyone else experience this, or is it not caused by BYOND?

-AbyssDragon
On 10/20/00 7:08 pm AbyssDragon wrote:
When my mouse pointer is over the map. the curssor tends to flicker and go invisible.. more often than not, I can't see it. This makes mouse-based games rather dificult sometimes, especially if I'm moving the mouse around a lot very quickly--its always invisible then. Does anyone else experience this, or is it not caused by BYOND?

The cursor does change to a "crosshairs" when it is over a valid object. I wonder if this is somehow invisible on your display. That would be odd. What OS and color-mode are you running in?
In response to Tom H.
I can see the crosshair, and my crosshair pointer is rather thick and visible, it just flickers a lot, and has a tendancy to dissapear while moving a lot over the map.
I'm running Windows Millenium in 1600x1200 w/ 16 bit color depth... I still had the problem when I ran in lower resoultion, and I can't go any higher color depth without lowering resolution (I'll defend my massive resolution to death.. so don't suggest that :-))

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
On 10/20/00 10:10 pm AbyssDragon wrote:
I can see the crosshair, and my crosshair pointer is rather thick and visible, it just flickers a lot, and has a tendancy to dissapear while moving a lot over the map.
I'm running Windows Millenium in 1600x1200 w/ 16 bit color depth... I still had the problem when I ran in lower resoultion, and I can't go any higher color depth without lowering resolution (I'll defend my massive resolution to death.. so don't suggest that :-))

-AbyssDragon

Windows Me? Great god, no!
Yes, the crosshair flickers for me too :)
If it helps any, I've noticed today that it flickers more when it's over mobs or objects than when it's otherwise. Animating turfs seem to also cause more flickering, but it still flickers even over static ones.

Also, it doesn't flicker over the map editor, but it does flicker a little over animations in the icon editor.

-AbyssDragon
If I set my computer back to the default Windows pointers, I get no flickering, which means the problem comes from using special pointers (probably due to mine having color).. which means theres nothing you can do about it, except maybe to have BYOND change the cursor itself to something monochrome.

-AbyssDragon
On 10/22/00 10:48 am AbyssDragon wrote:
If I set my computer back to the default Windows pointers, I get no flickering, which means the problem comes from using special pointers (probably due to mine having color).. which means theres nothing you can do about it, except maybe to have BYOND change the cursor itself to something monochrome.

So for a time there, you didn't think it was Windows' fault? That would've been my first guess... ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
Windows Me? Great god, no!

I hate you Spuzz.. I hate you..

I was going to post a defence of Windows Millenium, about how the only downside is the removal of DOS mode, and how you can always use a boot disk if you need DOS, but somehow never got around to it.

This morning I made a change to my Windows shell (Litestep)... and.... Windows stopped booting. To make things worse, my floppy drive will no longer allow me to boot off of it--it gives me a Disk I/O error even on boot disks that I know work on other computers. I did get one disk to boot, but it was my BeOS boot disk, and I no longer have a Be image on my drive for it to load, so it did me no goood. When the first disk didn't work, I thought the disk was just dead, got annoyed and destroyed it viciously, cutting my hand on the metal part in the process. So I grabbed the only other harddrive I had around to try to boot off of it. For some mysterious reason, its running OS/2 Warp, which doesn't want to boot, and I'm unsure what to do about it, having only used OS/2 once. Then I set about scouring the house for another floppy drive. I was able to find every other part imaginable, including some odd hardware for interfacing with hospital equipment, and a 2400 baud modem from 1987 (okay, that ones been sitting on my desk for a few months now, but I still have no idea where it came from). But not a single floppy drive. At this point I realize a few CDs I have are bootable. So I start searching through my huge stack of unsorted CDs, which the rest of my family likes to shuffle around a lot. The first one I find is an HP PC Image Engineer cd, for repairing partitions and stuff.. its actually kind of cool for an HP utility. But it only supports certain CD-ROMs, one's shipped with HP computers of course, which mine is not. I eventually find a 98SE installation disk which is bootable and allows me to get into DOS to fix Litestep.

-AbyssDragon

Can't we be friends? =)