ID:138350

There is a way I can make it so Cerulea by default launches with no info panels open, isn't there?

Z
On 10/14/00 8:57 pm Zilal wrote:
There is a way I can make it so Cerulea by default launches with no info panels open, isn't there?

Could you be a little more specific? Do you mean so it won't display any stat panels? If so, I don't think there is a way you could do that.
In response to Spuzzum
On 10/14/00 9:13 pm Spuzzum wrote:
On 10/14/00 8:57 pm Zilal wrote:

Could you be a little more specific? Do you mean so it won't display any stat panels? If so, I don't think there is a way you could do that.

Simple! For every verb, just add this as the first line of the code:

set hidden = 1

Of course, it might be tricky to get the verbs to show up when appropriate. But that wasn't the question. :)
In response to Guy T.
No, no, no. I mean so that when the world loads up, the player's client will have "show info" deselected. Like it automatically has the map deselected since cerulea has no .dmp files. I had it in my head that dantom gave us the ability to do that a while back...

Z
In response to Zilal
On 10/14/00 10:15 pm Zilal wrote:
No, no, no. I mean so that when the world loads up, the player's client will have "show info" deselected. Like it automatically has the map deselected since cerulea has no .dmp files. I had it in my head that dantom gave us the ability to do that a while back...

We'll support that ability as a "script" configuration soon. I also would like to have the ability to simply turn off the verb display & expansion (to give a more traditional mud feel if it is desired).

But first, we've got some bugs to fix!
In response to Tom H.
On 10/14/00 10:17 pm Tom H. wrote:
We'll support that ability as a "script" configuration soon. I also would like to have the ability to simply turn off the verb display & expansion (to give a more traditional mud feel if it is desired).

That's good. You know what I might like... if there were no signs of expansion while one played, and no verb display, but expansion was still kinda going on... so if I typed in "att monster," it would expand to the only possible verb, attack, internally, and execute "attack monster."

And if there were no single thing it could expand to... if I typed "att mon" and Monster and Mondale were in the room, the client would just ignore the input and say, "I don't know what you mean."

Z
In response to Zilal
And if there were no single thing it could expand to... if I typed "att mon" and Monster and Mondale were in the room, the client would just ignore the input and say, "I don't know what you mean."

Yes, though I just got introduced into real MUDs (well, yours is real too, I suppose, but I mean ones that are programmed in vitamin C++), I like their interface much more than this expansion thing. I also like the -'[text]- function to let you talk. Would that ever be possible in BYOND?
In response to Spuzzum
On 10/16/00 12:56 pm Spuzzum wrote:

Yes, though I just got introduced into real MUDs (well, yours is real too, I suppose, but I mean ones that are programmed in vitamin C++), I like their interface much more than this expansion thing. I also like the -'[text]- function to let you talk. Would that ever be possible in BYOND?

Well there are macros now -- even though I was one of the people requesting them, I haven't used them yet (need developer-defined macros! -- are do we have them already?)

But hopefully in the existing system you can attach 's' to say and have that work if you want.
In response to Deadron
On 10/16/00 1:58 pm Deadron wrote:
On 10/16/00 12:56 pm Spuzzum wrote:

Well there are macros now -- even though I was one of the people requesting them, I haven't used them yet (need developer-defined macros! -- are do we have them already?)

Yep! Just make a .dms file with the following info:

macro
m return "Move"
' return "say \"\..."
i return "inventory\naccess"

The first executes the verb "Move" in the player's verbs. The second types in "say" in the command line, which allows a player to continue the output. The third executes two at once; "inventory" and "access".

But hopefully in the existing system you can attach 's' to say and have that work if you want.

Yeah, I know, but I mean so it doesn't expand to say. So they could just type a quote and that'd be that, it wouldn't add a space or anything.