ID:138351

[Overview:]
"Only a single code file is necessary, and by default, Dream Maker creates it for you."

If you're referring to the .dme file, isn't it bad form to put code into that file? Shouldn't you put all content into .dm files to make it much easier to understand?

So very bored today...
Here's my nitpick... how come we can no longer create or open .dmi, .dm or .dmp files in the Dream Maker unless we have an environment open?

Z
In response to Zilal
On 10/13/00 3:33 pm Zilal wrote:
Here's my nitpick... how come we can no longer create or open .dmi, .dm or .dmp files in the Dream Maker unless we have an environment open?

Blame Canada!

If I recall, this was Spuzzum's suggestion. I agree with it though, because it was confusing beginners whose first inclination was to do "Open" when they wanted to start a project.

It's not _that_ bad, is it now?
In response to Tom H.
On 10/13/00 3:38 pm Tom H. wrote:
It's not _that_ bad, is it now?

No, it's not. It's just not perfectly customized to me.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 10/13/00 3:33 pm Zilal wrote:

Z

I'm actually not sure what the limitation is...I open individual .dmi files all the time with no environment. For example, the sttdef.dmi file.

[edit] I should mention that I open them by double-clicking on them.
In response to Deadron
I'm actually not sure what the limitation is...I open individual .dmi files all the time with no environment. For example, the sttdef.dmi file.

Uh, that's stddef.dm, but point taken. =)
In response to Spuzzum
On 10/13/00 5:22 pm Spuzzum wrote:
Uh, that's stddef.dm, but point taken. =)

Talk about nitpicking!

I was whining because I sometimes open another copy of the Dream Maker to putter around with alternate versions of what I'm doing in the first copy (or simply open the DM to look at the icon maker palette, as I did recently).

For instance, if I wanted to test a completely new way to do things in my combat-governing .dm file, rather than making a backup copy I would open a new instance of Dream Maker, make a new .dm file and copy the old .dm file into it... then I would be free to use "save all" in my original instance. Now I shall just have to use notepad!

Z
In response to Zilal
On 10/13/00 8:43 pm Zilal wrote:

Now I shall just have to use notepad!

Grrr. Them's fightin' words.
In response to Zilal
On 10/13/00 8:43 pm Zilal wrote:

I was whining because I sometimes open another copy of the Dream Maker to putter around with alternate versions of what I'm doing in the first copy (or simply open the DM to look at the icon maker palette, as I did recently)

Ah I keep a very simple test project around for this sort of thing. It's called Zombies, 'cause it was originally created to attempt to solve a bug related to zombie mobs.

Each time I'm testing something new, I end up adding a verb to kick off the test.

Now the player has the oddest collection of verbs available...