ID:138358

I've been thinking about how many 2D (or 2 1/2D) games allow for showing the roofs of buildings: When you can't see inside, you see the top of the building. When you can see inside, the top of the building is removed to give you a view.

This gives an idea that might reduce the starkness of the current black-out approach, while also allowing the designer to display more architecture in the game:

Turfs could support the concept of an "out of view" icon which is what is displayed when the current system displays black.

This would also allow for a gray-out fog of war effect, where out-of-view turfs show a grayed-out version of their standard icon but you can't actually see the turf.

I don't know what the performance implications are, but it would certainly be a nice one for The List.
Turfs could support the concept of an "out of view" icon which is what is displayed when the current system displays black.

This would also allow for a gray-out fog of war effect, where out-of-view turfs show a grayed-out version of their standard icon but you can't actually see the turf.

I agree. If anyone here has played Jagged Alliance (the first one, though its descendants, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, and Jagged Alliance 2, are also excellent), it has a system like that, displaying the roof of a building when the interior isn't visible.