ID:138360

Hello again...ive been very busy recently and have now returned to working on my Byond project...there have been alot o updates since then heh heh...but anyways to the point i cant seem to figure out how to get a verb to call a proc i made for battle....heres baisically what i have

mob
verb
fire()
set category = "Actions"
flick("shoot",src)
call(mob/proc/fight)(obj/weapons/O as obj in usr.contents, mob/T as mob in view())

and this code works for the animation of shooting but as far as the calling o the proc...i obviously have no idea what im doing in the ways of calling procs heh heh...and yes i have read the help docs an stuff...but im not exactly sure what to do...am i using the wrong thing to call the proc? but anyways any help would be greatly appreciated
mob
verb
fire()
set category = "Actions"
flick("shoot",src)
call(mob/proc/fight)(obj/weapons/O as obj in usr.contents, mob/T as mob in view())

and this code works for the animation of shooting but as far as the calling o the proc...i obviously have no idea what im doing in the ways of calling procs heh heh...and yes i have read the help docs an stuff...but im not exactly sure what to do...am i using the wrong thing to call the proc? but anyways any help would be greatly appreciated

You almost have it right. Here's what you should use:

mob
verb
fire(obj/weapons/O in usr, mob/T in view())
set category = "Actions"
flick("shoot",src)
call(/mob/proc/fight)(O,T)

Here's what I changed:
- call()() doesn't allow you to choose arguments (you can't, for example, type in a proc with arguments)... so I added the arguments to fire() instead, and passed them along to call()(args) respectively
- 'as obj' and 'as mob' are implied, as is 'usr.contents' in lieu of 'usr'... I removed those (or put usr in place of usr.contents) to save code space... not that it matters much =)
- call(proc)() requires the proc to be referenced by actual path (/mob/proc/fight) instead of relative path (mob/proc/fight)... in other words, just use a slash first =)

Does that help?
In response to Spuzzum
On 10/6/00 9:34 pm Spuzzum wrote:

mob
verb
set category = "Actions"
flick("shoot",src)
call(/mob/proc/fight)(O,T)

Of course, in this case you would want to go the more direct route (or "root", for you Canadians)

mob
verb
set category = "Actions"
flick("shoot",src)
fight(O,T) // member function of mob

Generally you only need to use call() when the function to call is variable (perhaps stored in a string input by the user).

The way Spuzz has reorganized the function looks solid to me, unless I'm misinterpreting what you want to do here.
In response to Tom H.
(or "root", for you Canadians)

I'm not going to justify that with a response. Um, no, that doesn't qualify as a response. =)

mob
verb
set category = "Actions"
flick("shoot",src)
fight(O,T) // member function of mob

Generally you only need to use call() when the function to call is variable (perhaps stored in a string input by the user).

The way Spuzz has reorganized the function looks solid to me, unless I'm misinterpreting what you want to do here.

Oh, duh. I can't believe I missed that shortcut (*thwack* Bad Spuzzum! *twack thwack bam... thump*). Still, if you wanted to use call, that is how you would do it.