ID:138361

I was musing on some of the fun simple games I've played, and thinking about how impressive it is to me that some people can come up with simple concepts that provides hundreds of hours of play.

And I remembered Pipe Dream, a Lucas Arts game from way back. This blue stuff starts flowing from one side of the screen, and you've got to lay pipe to get it to the other side, using randomly provided shapes of pipe. Not unlike the arrows in Sheep.

Lots of fun and a perfect game for BYOND...except for one thing: On higher levels, the blue stuff starts flowing faster. It would be a total pain to provide multiple flowing animations, especially since they might be done separately for each turf type to deal with unique shapes.

So this is a case where being able to dynamically set the animation speed through an icon object would make all the difference.
On 10/6/00 2:57 pm Deadron wrote:

So this is a case where being able to dynamically set the animation speed through an icon object would make all the difference.

Good idea. We still have, on the backburner, this notion of supporting a cleaner notation with these pseudo types; /text, /icon, etc. They wouldn't serve any purpose other than to categorize the various text/icon/etc functions, so it's really not as dramatic as it might sound.

Your idea would fit in here. You would be able to query (and in some cases set) the various properties, like icon state, and animation speed.

But, holding to our word, we're not going to pursue this until after we get the hosting all stable. Aside from bug fixes, only a few reserved features have such priority that they will be implemented within the next few weeks.

In the meantime, you might be able to do it yourself by making the animations icon_states (rather than movie frames) and simply changing state on a ticker.
In response to Tom H.
On 10/6/00 4:01 pm Tom H. wrote:
In the meantime, you might be able to do it yourself by making the animations icon_states (rather than movie frames) and simply changing state on a ticker.

Good idea.

I've started to think of some fun stuff for this game...I might do it next instead of my planned one, cause I haven't worked out the dynamics for the planned one yet.

Anyway, in the meantime I'm making progress on L&D and might have the next level ready for alpha testing in the GoB...