ID:138365

Well I went in to try and add a link to L&D in the hub, but my brain got fried and I just don't get it. I read through the intro several times but I still don't understand.

First there is the hierarchy...what is each top level item for? For example, what would one put under geo or biz?

I decided to add a link to my home directory...it was hard to find because they aren't alphabetized. When I did find it, the directories are not live links. I guess you have to edit them to make them links...but I didn't understand the correlation between the edit form that came up and the directory.

So I decided to add L&D to the Games/Action directory...but Action is not a link, and I'm not allowed to edit it.

Also, it's hard to navigate directories that are spewed out into the text window -- it sure would be nice to have them show up in the browser, all nicely formatted and such. (Might I humbly suggest something similar to the Forum UI in my forum library?)

I think Tom mentioned plans to change the hub?

Anyway I'm looking for any kind of guidance here.
On 10/4/00 4:57 pm Deadron wrote:

I think Tom mentioned plans to change the hub?

Yes. Right now the hub is a bare-bones text-display of the actual data, but is not very familiar to non-unix addicts. The internals are quite nice, though; for instance, it has a built in ability to mirror itself on the web. The plan is to merge this backend functionality with a nice gui (using the browser, as you suggested). This web/byond stuff is our next priority, and I will be finally lending a hand as early as tonight.

You'll have to ask Dan about the specifics of the current hub, though. There should be some useful documentation on the BYOND Hub link on the toolbar.
In response to Tom H.
On 10/4/00 5:22 pm Tom H. wrote:
Yes. Right now the hub is a bare-bones text-display of the actual data, but is not very familiar to non-unix addicts.

Oh well, my 12 years of unix usage weren't enough for me!

The plan is to merge this backend functionality with a nice gui (using the browser, as you suggested).

Sounds good -- I'll wait for that.
In response to Deadron
On 10/4/00 6:00 pm Deadron wrote:

Do I, ah, sense some sarcasm here? :)
In response to Tom H.
On 10/4/00 6:13 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 10/4/00 6:00 pm Deadron wrote:

Do I, ah, sense some sarcasm here? :)

Well, you know, having learned C on a unix box...having done contract UNIX programming as my first technical job...having been on the NeXT and Mac OS X development teams for much of my professional life...

Guess I feel I earned it!
In response to Deadron
having been on the NeXT and Mac OS X development teams for much of my professional life...

You know, I just saw some screenshots of OS X today for the first time. Don't know anything about how it works, but the graphic design is absolutely beautiful!