ID:138373

As I work out my next game (never fear, one or more levels of L&D will come first), I am considering how to go about map loading.

I had a heavy-weight map-loading system I created for my RPG system, but it's not ideal.

As it stands I can't use automated map saving for savefiles, because turfs are reconstituted at the same coordinates they were saved at, and I will frequently need to change the z level (in some cases I'd like to change starting x and y coordinates, but I can live without those).

I will no doubt do a new less-heavy-weight customized savefile solution, but I was wondering if it might be possible to support setting the z coordinate on the fly when loading auto-saved turfs.

This could be done by setting a global or something for the current z level (which would imply that all turfs being loaded come from the save level, which would always be true in my cases).

The reason it is important for many games is this: Say you want to allow multiple people to be playing multiple levels of your game simultaneously on the server, and in some cases the players will be loading a previously saved game.

Well you fill up the z levels as people log in and start or continue games, and you have no way to know ahead of time what game/level/savegame/savelevel will be played on what z level.

On the other hand, it's simple enough to create a savefile routine to handle all this that it is probably reasonable for Dantom to say "DIY!" (Do It Yourself...)