ID:138375

Seriously!

Wouldn't it be great if we could MANUALLY crash a proc, giving our own error message?

Just a thought... but it would be neat!
Wouldn't it be great if we could MANUALLY crash a proc, giving our own error message?

Actually, you could probably simulate this by using __FILE__ and __LINE__. But I haven't learned enough about style sheets yet to know whether you could force this to output the message in the user's custom "system message" color. Could be worth a look, though... I'd envision it being used like so:

proc/blabla()
if(prob(50))
CustomErr(usr, __FILE__, __LINE__, "Random bug detected")
return
usr << "No errors here!"
In response to Guy T.
On 9/23/00 11:20 am Guy T. wrote:

Actually, you could probably simulate this by using __FILE__ and __LINE__. But I haven't learned enough about style sheets yet to know whether you could force this to output the message in the user's custom "system message" color. Could be worth a look, though... I'd envision it being used like so:

Well, actually, I wanted it more to give the call stack. The lines don't matter because the error will occur in a library which might lead people to believe its my fault and not theirs if it reports a bad argument type or something.
In response to Spuzzum
On 9/23/00 11:56 am Spuzzum wrote:
On 9/23/00 11:20 am Guy T. wrote:

Actually, you could probably simulate this by using __FILE__ and __LINE__.

Well, actually, I wanted it more to give the call stack. The lines don't matter because the error will occur in a library which might lead people to believe its my fault and not theirs if it reports a bad argument type or something.

I'd like to throw in my support for this one -- many's the time I wished I could force a crash and see the stack as I was debugging...