ID:138388

While putting up the new version of Cerulea, I noticed that something called "core" showed up in my list of files. What is it?

Oh, and if you rename a .dmb file on the server while people are playing, what will happen?

Z
On 9/12/00 10:40 am Zilal wrote:
While putting up the new version of Cerulea, I noticed that something called "core" showed up in my list of files. What is it?

That file shows up when the server crashes. It contains an image of the stack at the time of crash. Don't delete it, since Dan uses it for debugging online.

Oh, and if you rename a .dmb file on the server while people are playing, what will happen?

As far as I know, that should be ok. However, you don't want to rename the accompanying .rsc file since that is used at a later time. Your best bet would be to wait until there are no users (or force the issue) and then do your tweaks.
In response to Tom H.
As far as I know, that should be ok. However, you don't want to rename the accompanying .rsc file since that is used at a later time. Your best bet would be to wait until there are no users (or force the issue) and then do your tweaks.

You can always just 'kill' a server.
In response to Spuzzum
I asked because I was thinking what would be the least disruptive way to update Cerulea if I some day got people playing on a regular basis... I could rename the world.dmb and upload the new one, then anyone new logging in would go into the new one, and once everyone was out of the old one on their own I could delete that one.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 9/12/00 3:57 pm Zilal wrote:
I asked because I was thinking what would be the least disruptive way to update Cerulea if I some day got people playing on a regular basis... I could rename the world.dmb and upload the new one, then anyone new logging in would go into the new one, and once everyone was out of the old one on their own I could delete that one.

I would suggest this approach:
  • Send out a warning message to all online: "going down momentarily!"
  • Save everyone to a savefile (perhaps in world.Del())
  • Upload your new .dmb
  • Call world.Reboot(), which should reload everything from the new .dmb.
  • Load everyone from the savefile (perhaps in world.New())
  • Send a "We're back!" message.

Theoretically, I think that should work, and you shouldn't have to boot anyone off. By keeping your savefile format backwards compatible between releases, you ensure that no data will be lost.